Voltage vs Current - Power, Electrons, Transformers

In summary: Volts itself is not potential energy, but rather potential energy per a coulomb of charge. Current is the flow of charge, and each individual electron isn't necessarily moving much, but rather the net direction of charge adds up to a net current.In summary, power is equal to voltage multiplied by current. Using a transformer to increase voltage and decrease current is more efficient, as it results in less power loss through wires while still delivering the same amount of power. This is because less voltage is dropped across the wires with low current. This has nothing to do with the speed of current, but rather the energy each coulomb of current carries. The relationship between voltage and current is similar to bandwidth and data rate, but they are not directly
Finris
I understand that power(watts) is equal to voltage(potential energy) X current(flow of electrons).

I understand that is is more efficient to increase the voltage using a tansformer to send less current but come out with the same power.

i.e 12 volts X 10 amps = 120 watts

24 volts x 5 amps = 120 watts

but how does less amps/current give the same power output? Would half the current travel twice as fast? I understand current to be electrons moving along a copper wire in a magnetic field so if I doubled the voltage I would end up with half as many electrons but moving twice as fast?

Perhaps similar to bandwidth in a computer where a 1 Ghz processor can send data down a 16 bit bus at the same speed a 500Mhz processor can send data on a 32 bit bus.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Volts itself is not potential energy, but rather potential energy per a coulomb of charge. Current is the flow of charge, and each individual electron isn't necessarily moving much, but rather the net direction of charge adds up to a net current.

The reason it is more efficient to use high voltage and low current is because with low current, less voltage is dropped across the wires, and so less power is dissipated by them while still delivering the same intended amount of power to the load.

It has nothing to do with current traveling at any speed over a distance. That is actually not a true picture you have and you will understand electricity better if you don't think of current as having a speed dependening on how much current or voltage is present. Current travel speed does not change simply because more voltage is driving it. Think of it more as how much energy each coulomb of the current has; if current is halved but voltage is doubled, then the current will have half as many coulombs/sec, but each of those coulombs will have twice as much energy.

The bandwidth and data rate is pretty much completely unrelated to the current/voltage power relationship, although there might be some algebraic similarities (bw x bus width = #bits/sec, current x volts = #joules/sec). I would try not to draw any relationship between the two if I were you.

Last edited:
This is interesting but confusing.

For the same distance of power delivering, we are talking about the high voltage, how can it be "less voltage" across the wire (distance)?

DragonPetter said:
The reason it is more efficient to use high voltage and low current is because with low current, less voltage is dropped across the wires, and so less power is dissipated by them while still delivering the same intended amount of power to the load.

Fuxue Jin said:
This is interesting but confusing.

For the same distance of power delivering, we are talking about the high voltage, how can it be "less voltage" across the wire (distance)?

You need to study ohms law and realize that transmission lines have resistance.

No offensive, but Yes, I am major in Physics, and currently work as an electrical engineer.

phinds said:
You need to study ohms law and realize that transmission lines have resistance.

It's more voltage across the wires.

But it's less voltage dropped along the wires. It's known as I-squared-R loss of power in the wires before you get to the load.

You may be confused the power lost on transmission line vs the power delivered after the current passing through the transmission line.

If the transmission line is super conductor, zero resistance, then it doesn't matter high or low voltage because there will be no loss during the delivering process. The power will be the same at the starting point and end point.

If the transmission line is normal conductor with resistance, then there will be I^2 R power loss on the line, and you don't get 100% of the power delivered.

In order to minimize the loss during the power transfer, it is better to have low current. Low current requires high voltage in order to have high power.

Thinking of carrying a bucket of water from point A to point B, but there is a hole on the bucket. So you will get more water at point B if the hole is small (current is low).
Finris said:
I understand that power(watts) is equal to voltage(potential energy) X current(flow of electrons).

I understand that is is more efficient to increase the voltage using a tansformer to send less current but come out with the same power.

i.e 12 volts X 10 amps = 120 watts

24 volts x 5 amps = 120 watts

but how does less amps/current give the same power output? Would half the current travel twice as fast? I understand current to be electrons moving along a copper wire in a magnetic field so if I doubled the voltage I would end up with half as many electrons but moving twice as fast?

Perhaps similar to bandwidth in a computer where a 1 Ghz processor can send data down a 16 bit bus at the same speed a 500Mhz processor can send data on a 32 bit bus.

Last edited:

Related to Voltage vs Current - Power, Electrons, Transformers

1. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the potential energy difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts and determines the force that moves the electrons through the circuit. Current, on the other hand, is the flow of electrons through a circuit and is measured in amperes.

2. How does power relate to voltage and current?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used in an electrical circuit. It is calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current (P = VI). This means that an increase in either voltage or current will result in an increase in power.

3. What role do electrons play in voltage and current?

Electrons are the charge carriers in an electrical circuit. They flow from the negative terminal of a battery to the positive terminal, creating a current. Voltage is what causes the electrons to move and determines the strength of the current.

4. How do transformers affect voltage and current?

Transformers are devices that can change the voltage and current levels in an electrical circuit. They work by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from one circuit to another. Step-up transformers increase the voltage, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage.

5. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance?

Ohm's Law states that there is a direct relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. This means that as voltage increases, current will also increase, as long as the resistance remains constant. Similarly, if the voltage stays the same and resistance increases, the current will decrease.