Volume Balance on concentration in a tank

In summary, the person is seeking help with finding the output value for a volume balance problem in a tank. They have drawn a diagram and identified the independent and dependent variables. The problem is unsteady state and the person will be using the equation INPUT = OUTPUT + ACCUMULATION to solve for the output value. They have been advised to consider the flow rate and changes in volume over time.
ilyas415

Homework Statement

Hi. I am trying to do a volume balance on the concentration in a tank. I don't know how to find the output and just need some help. I have attached the image showing the question from the paper. Thanks.

Homework Equations

INPUT = OUTPUT + ACCUMULATION

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram showing the control surface. Stated that the independent variable is time and the dependent variable is x.

I assumed that the concentration mixed instantaneously in the tank.

Stated that the problem is unsteady state and that i was going to do a volume baalnce on the concentration in the tank.

Took my basis: δt s.
input = 0
output = ...
accumulation = V.δx

I have no idea what the output value will be. I just need some help to find it.

Attachments

• Screen shot - question 2 SB.png
    Screen shot - question 2 SB.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your volume balance problem. It seems like you have made a good start by drawing a diagram and identifying the independent and dependent variables. In order to find the output value, you will need to consider the flow rate in and out of the tank. This can be calculated by multiplying the velocity of the fluid by the cross-sectional area of the tank. Once you have this value, you can use the equation INPUT = OUTPUT + ACCUMULATION to solve for the output value. Remember to also consider any changes in volume due to accumulation over time. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Volume Balance on concentration in a tank

1. What is meant by "Volume Balance on concentration in a tank"?

Volume balance on concentration in a tank refers to the relationship between the volume of a liquid in a tank and the concentration of a substance within that liquid. It involves calculating the change in concentration over time as the volume of the liquid in the tank changes.

2. Why is it important to maintain volume balance on concentration in a tank?

Maintaining volume balance on concentration in a tank is crucial in order to accurately measure and control the concentration of a substance in the liquid. This is essential for ensuring the safety and effectiveness of the solution being stored in the tank.

3. How do you calculate volume balance on concentration in a tank?

The volume balance equation is: Change in concentration = (Inflow rate x Inflow concentration) - (Outflow rate x Outflow concentration). This equation takes into account the inflow and outflow rates, as well as the concentrations of the inflow and outflow solutions.

4. What factors can affect volume balance on concentration in a tank?

There are several factors that can impact volume balance on concentration in a tank, including changes in inflow and outflow rates, evaporation, and mixing of the solution. Temperature and the properties of the substance being stored can also play a role in the volume balance equation.

5. How can volume balance on concentration in a tank be maintained over time?

To maintain volume balance on concentration in a tank over time, it is important to regularly monitor and adjust the inflow and outflow rates as needed. Other methods such as insulation to prevent evaporation and proper mixing techniques can also help to maintain volume balance.