Volume by Shell and Washer Methods

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume generated by rotating a given region about a given line using the Shell method and Washer method. The equations for both methods are provided and the individual attempting the solution is having trouble reconciling their answers. After further consideration, they realize their mistake and provide the correct solution for both methods.
rodneyspencer

Homework Statement

Find the volume generated by rotating the given region about the given line using the Shell method and the Washer method.

x = 4y [y = x/4], y = 0, x = 0, x = 8 about x

Homework Equations

Washer method (about x):
V = pi [tex]\int^b_a[/tex] ((Rtop2(x) - rbottom2(x))dx

Shell method (about x):
V = 2pi [tex]\int^d_c[/tex] (y[f(y)-g(y)])dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure why I can't reconcile these two answers. I'm having some similar problems with more of these exercises but if someone can help me see where I'm going wrong I'm sure I can rework them successfully.

Washer:
V = pi [tex]\int^8_0[/tex] ((x/4)2)dx = 32pi/3

Shell:
V = 2pi [tex]\int^2_0[/tex] (y(4y))dy = 64pi/3

Attachments

• Ex.jpg
    Ex.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot about x=8. The shell method should be V = 2pi [tex]\int^2_0[/tex] (y(8-(4y)))dy = 32pi/3.

:facepalm:

Double-post :/

:facepalm:

Last edited:

FAQ: Volume by Shell and Washer Methods

1. What is the volume by shell method?

The volume by shell method is a technique used in calculus to find the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves slicing the solid into infinitely thin cylindrical shells and integrating their volumes.

2. How is the volume by shell method different from the volume by washer method?

The volume by shell method is used when the axis of revolution is parallel to the direction of integration, while the volume by washer method is used when the axis of revolution is perpendicular to the direction of integration.

3. What are the basic steps to finding volume by shell method?

The basic steps to finding volume by shell method are:

• Slice the solid into infinitely thin cylindrical shells
  • Determine the radius and height of each shell
  • Calculate the volume of each shell using the formula V = 2πrh
  • Integrate the volumes of all the shells from the lower limit to the upper limit of the solid

4. Can the volume by shell method be used for any solid of revolution?

Yes, the volume by shell method can be used for any solid of revolution as long as the axis of revolution is parallel to the direction of integration.

5. What are the common applications of volume by shell method in real life?

Volume by shell method is commonly used in engineering and physics to find the volume of objects with complex shapes, such as water tanks, pipes, and bottles. It is also used in biology to calculate the volume of cells and organs in the human body.

Back