Volume by washer or shell help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a figure formed by the equations y=x^2, y=4, and x=0 when revolved around the line y=-2. Two methods, the washer method and the shell method, are suggested. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using both methods and confusion about the correct approach. Ultimately, the correct solution is determined to be using the washer method and integrating from x=0 to x=1.
TheKracken

Homework Statement

Find the area given by y=x^2, y=4, x=0 and revolved about y = -2

Use either the washer or shell method

Homework Equations

Shell; integral from a to b of 2∏x(f(x))dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I tried to do this is terms of dy so since we are revolving about y=-2 which would be the horizonal axis. I got x= sqrt(y) and then I set up the integral from 0 to 4 of 2pi(y-2)(sqrt(y))dy

but this seems to be giving me a volume of 0 which means I've got to be doing something wrong!

I also attempted it with a dx and I decided to use the integral from 0 to 2 of 2 pi(x-2)(4-x^2)dx but received a value of 0 as well! I feel like this means that I am doing something consistently wrong which is kind of good, but I would like to fix that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so now I am really confused. I mean integral from 0 to 4 of 2pi(y+2)(sqrt(y)) and when I enter that in wolfram I don't get the correct value, but when I move the 2pi out of the integral and then multiply I get the right answer? I thought it wasn't supposed to matter...

TheKracken said:
Ok so now I am really confused. I mean integral from 0 to 4 of 2pi(y+2)(sqrt(y)) and when I enter that in wolfram I don't get the correct value, but when I move the 2pi out of the integral and then multiply I get the right answer? I thought it wasn't supposed to matter...
I'd guess you are entering it into Wolfram wrongly. Maybe a problem with the parentheses?

Using the washer method, a vertical line from y= -2 through the figure, at fixed x, crosses it at [itex](x, x^2)[/itex] and [itex](x, 4)[/itex] so the inner and outer boundaries are at distance [itex]x^2+ 2[/itex] and [itex]4+ 2= 6[/itex]. Those are the inner and outer radii of the "washer". The area of such a "washer" will be [itex]\pi(x^2+ 2)^2- \pi(6)^2= \pi(x^4+ 4x^2- 32)[/itex]. The thickness of such a washer will be "dx" so the volume [itex]\pi(x^4+ 4x^2- 32)dx[/itex]. Integrate that from x= 0 to x= 1.

Using the "shell method", at a given y, the "shell" will have length [itex]x- 0= \sqrt{y}[/itex] and will rotate around a radius [itex]y- (-2)= y+ 2[/itex], describig a circle of circumference [itex]2\pi(y+ 2)[/itex]. The area of such a shell will be [itex]2\pi(y+ 2)\sqrt{y}[/itex]. The thickness will be "dy" so the volume of [itex]2\pi(y+ 2)\sqrt{y}dy[/itex]. Integrate that from y= 0 to y= 4.

Related to Volume by washer or shell help

What is the difference between volume by washer and volume by shell methods?

The volume by washer method, also known as the disk method, calculates the volume of a solid of revolution by slicing the solid into thin disks. The volume by shell method, also known as the cylindrical shell method, calculates the volume by slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells. While the washer method is used for solids with a hole or empty space, the shell method is used for solids with a curved or irregular shape.

How do I know which method to use?

The method to use depends on the shape of the solid. If the solid has a hole or empty space, the washer method should be used. If the solid has a curved or irregular shape, the shell method should be used.

What is the formula for calculating volume by washer or shell?

The formula for volume by washer method is V = π∫(R²-r²)dx, where R is the outer radius, r is the inner radius, and dx is the thickness of the disk. The formula for volume by shell method is V = 2π∫(radius)(height)dx, where radius is the distance from the axis of revolution to the curve, height is the height of the shell, and dx is the thickness of the shell.

Can volume by washer or shell be used for any shape?

No, volume by washer or shell can only be used for solids of revolution, meaning that the shape is created by rotating a curve around an axis.

Are there any limitations to using volume by washer or shell method?

Yes, one limitation is that the solid must have a known cross-sectional area that can be integrated. Additionally, the solid must have a known axis of revolution. If the solid has a changing axis of revolution, then the method cannot be used.