Volume Effect of the Proton in Hydrogen Atom

In summary: Well integrate your H' from 0 to R in spherical coords. Then make the approximation for your exponentials at the end.to get higer order of R, I expand exponential term to 1st order
gispiamp
This Prob is from Shankar, 17.2.3
"we assumed that the proton is a point charge e. If the proton is a uniformly dense charge distribution of radius R, the interaction is modified as
V(r)= -2(e)^2/(2R) + (er)^2/(2(R)^3) r<R
= -e^2/r r>R

Calculate 1st Order shift in the ground-state energy of H, due to this modification
Assume Exp[-R/a0]~1. (Correct answer is E(1)=2(eR)^2/(5(a0)^3))"

I try ro make perturbated Hamiltonian term to use |nlm>
H=T+V=T-e^2/r+e^2/r+V=H0+H`

H` is V+e^2/r (this H` gives zero when r>R)

and calculate 1st order purtubation. but it doesn't give correct answer

I think the method I used is something wrong.(because calculation has no error)

Please show me the way~

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I am unable to get the same shift as your answer. I get:

[tex]\frac{16}{15}\frac{e^2R^2}{a_0^3}[/tex]

So I have no idea where they get the 2/5 coefficient. I could be doing something wrong as well.

nickjer said:
Well I am unable to get the same shift as your answer. I get:

[tex]\frac{16}{15}\frac{e^2R^2}{a_0^3}[/tex]

So I have no idea where they get the 2/5 coefficient. I could be doing something wrong as well.

how could you calculate it? please explain it to me

Well integrate your H' from 0 to R in spherical coords. Then make the approximation for your exponentials at the end.

nickjer said:
Well integrate your H' from 0 to R in spherical coords. Then make the approximation for your exponentials at the end.

Hm.. using Hydrogen atom's e.ft, |100>, and calculating <100|H`|100> in spherical coords. I tried that way before I ask. but It doesn't gives same answer.

main Integration is
[tex]I_n= \int {r^n}{e^(\frac{r}{a_0})}[/tex]

and n=4,2,1. with some coeff. It doesn't give R^2 and a_0^3

Is that wrong?

may be I tried 6~10 times... I'm tired........

Well you need to write out the whole integral. And carefully solve for it. Then expand out the exponentials with the 'R' term in it. I expanded them out to first order in R, to get a similar answer they got.

nickjer said:
Well you need to write out the whole integral. And carefully solve for it. Then expand out the exponentials with the 'R' term in it. I expanded them out to first order in R, to get a similar answer they got.

to get higer order of R, I expand exponential term to 1st order

but they doesn't give correct order. I_4's coefficient is R^(-3) and Integral gives R^(5) but this order vanished and R^(3) and R^(2) remains. that's the problem

let C=2R/a_0, x=2r/a_0,

(dummy r zero to n)
I_n gives -exp[-C]*[tex]\sum[nPr*C^(n-r)][/tex]+n!

and I_1+I_2+I_4 with some coeff is the wrong answer I solved.
Hm..... I don't know what's wrong with this...

Related to Volume Effect of the Proton in Hydrogen Atom

1. What is the volume effect of the proton in a hydrogen atom?

The volume effect of the proton in a hydrogen atom refers to the size and shape of the electron cloud surrounding the nucleus. It is influenced by the proton's charge and the attractive force between the proton and the electron.

2. How does the volume effect of the proton affect the behavior of the hydrogen atom?

The volume effect of the proton plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and transitions of the electron in a hydrogen atom. It also affects the strength of the bond between hydrogen atoms in molecules.

3. Can the volume effect of the proton vary in different hydrogen atoms?

Yes, the volume effect of the proton can vary in different hydrogen atoms depending on external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other atoms or molecules.

4. How is the volume effect of the proton measured?

The volume effect of the proton can be indirectly measured through spectroscopic techniques, which involve studying the absorption and emission of light by hydrogen atoms. The shape and intensity of spectral lines can provide information about the volume effect of the proton.

5. Is the volume effect of the proton important in other elements besides hydrogen?

Yes, the volume effect of the proton is important in all atoms and molecules, as it determines the size and shape of their electron clouds. However, it is particularly significant in hydrogen due to its simple atomic structure and the presence of only one electron.