Volume generated by revolving a region

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve a calculus problem and is having trouble getting the correct answer. They provide links to the question and scoring guidelines and discuss their attempt at a solution. Another person explains that the axis they are rotating around affects the volume of the object and provides the correct solution.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to solve the 2010 AP Calculus AB Free-Response Question 1 (Form B) and can't figure out why my answer doesn't match up with the scoring guidelines for the life of me.

You can find the question here
http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap10_frq_calculus_ab_formb.pdf

and the scoring guidelines here
http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap10_calculus_ab_form_b_sgs.pdf

I'm trying to do part (b) and keep on getting the wrong answer

In the figure above, R is the shaded region in the first quadrant bounded by the
graph of y = 4ln(3-x) , the horizontal line y = 6, and the vertical line x = 2

(a) Find the area of R.

(b) Find the volume of the solid generated when R is revolved about the
horizontal line y = 8.

(c) The region R is the base of a solid. For this solid, each cross section
perpendicular to the x-axis is a square. Find the volume of the solid.

The scoring guidelines say that the answer is 168.179 or 168.180 and I keep on getting 143.676 and don't see what's wrong with what I am doing

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the function that represents the y values of the region that are being rotated is simply
f(x) = 6 - 4 ln(3-x)

put in the original function f(x) = 4 ln (3) and y = 6 and you'll see that f(x) = 6 - 4 ln(3-x) is the region "rotated" so it's now flush with the x-axis and y-axis and one should be able to simply rotate this function about the x-axis using shells to get the same answer the college board did, yes I know this isn't how they did it but this is how I did it and thought about it before checking the answers, I reasoned I should be able to do this sense were only interested in rotating the region R and that it makes no difference if we were rotating the function around y = 8 or y = 6 we should still get the same answer right because were not interested in the volume between 8 and 6 but only the volume of the region...

f(0) = 6 - 4 ln(3)
f(2) = 6
solved for x
x = 3 - e^(3/2 - y/4)

2 pi integral [lower limit=6- 4 ln(3), upper limit = 6] y(3 - e^(3/2 - y/4))dy = 143.676

note that [lower limit=6- 4 ln(3), upper limit = 6] were the limits that were being integrated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I reasoned I should be able to do this sense were only interested in rotating the region R and that it makes no difference if we were rotating the function around y = 8 or y = 6 we should still get the same answer right because were not interested in the volume between 8 and 6 but only the volume of the region...

The axis you are rotating around DOES matter! When you rotate around an axis that's far away from your region, the shape and volume of the object is changing compared to an axis that's flush with your region.

The basic formula for shells is integral of 2pi*radius*height. When your axis is moving, your radius is changing. In this case it is no longer y but instead 8-y.

You can still do shells (if you want to), but you must split it into 2 separate integrals because the height is 2 from 4 ln(3) to 6, but the height is 2-(3 - e^(y/4)

2 pi integral [lower limit=4 ln(3), upper limit = 6] (8-y)(2)dy

+

2 pi integral [lower limit=0, upper limit = 4 ln(3)] (8-y)(2-(3 - e^(y/4)))dy

which gets the same answer the scoring guide

Related to Volume generated by revolving a region

1. What is the formula for finding the volume generated by revolving a region?

The formula for finding the volume generated by revolving a region is V = π∫[a,b] (f(x))^2 dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function representing the region.

2. How does the shape of the region affect the volume generated by revolving it?

The shape of the region plays a significant role in determining the volume generated by revolving it. The more complex the shape, the more challenging it is to calculate the volume. Simple shapes like circles and rectangles have well-known formulas for finding their volume, while irregular shapes may require more advanced mathematical techniques.

3. Can you give an example of finding the volume generated by revolving a region?

Yes, for example, if we have the region bounded by the curves y = x^2 and y = 0, and we revolve it around the x-axis, we can use the formula V = π∫[0,1] (x^2)^2 dx to find the volume. After solving the integral, we get V = π/5 units^3.

4. How does the choice of axis of revolution impact the volume generated?

The choice of axis of revolution is crucial in determining the volume generated. If we choose a different axis, the resulting volume will also vary. For instance, if we revolve the same region mentioned in the previous example around the y-axis instead of the x-axis, the volume generated will be different.

5. What is the significance of finding the volume generated by revolving a region?

Finding the volume generated by revolving a region is important in various fields, including engineering, physics, and architecture. It allows us to calculate the volume of complex objects, which is essential in designing structures and determining their stability. It also has practical applications in calculating the volume of liquids in containers and determining the mass of objects with irregular shapes.

Back