Volume in first octant cut off by a plane

In summary, the problem is to find the equation of the plane passing through [1,2,2] that cuts off the smallest possible volume in the first octant. To solve this, we can use the volume formula for a pyramid and the equation of a plane passing through three points. Setting the partial derivatives of the volume formula to zero, we get two equations in two unknowns. However, after solving for x, we realize that the solution does not satisfy the condition of intersecting the positive x-axis, indicating a mistake in the solution process.
Frillth

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane through the point [1,2,2] that cuts off the smallest possible volume in the first octant.

Homework Equations

Volume of a pyramid = 1/3Ah

The Attempt at a Solution

The plane is going to cut out a pyramid with the x-, y-, and z-intercepts, so let x, y, and z be the intercepts. Then V = 1/6xyz. But since the plane must go through [1,2,2] and three points define a plane, we can write one of x, y, and z in terms of the other two. Any plane passing through intercepts x, y, and z has a general point [a,b,c] so that:
a/x + b/y + c/z = 1
Since [1,2,2] is on the plane, plug that in for [a,b,c]:
1/x + 2/y + 2/z = 1
Solve for x (just because I'm guessing that it would be the easiest):
x = -1/(2y + 2z - 1)
Now plug that into the volume formula:
V = -yz/(12y + 12z - 6)

Is this right so far? If not, what did I do wrong? If so, how can I continue?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's ok so far. Now take the partial derivatives dV/dy and dV/dz and set them both to zero. That's two equations in two unknowns.

All right, so from there I take the partials and I get:

dV/dy = (-12z^2 + 6z)/(12y + 12z - 6)^2
dV/dz = (-12y^2 + 6y)/(12y + 12z - 6)^2

Setting these equal to zero, I get:

y = z = 0 and y = z = 1/2

However, I know that y and z can't be 0, and if y and z are 1/2, then by my earlier result:

x = -1/(1 + 1 - 1) = -1

I can't have x = -1, because the plane has to intersect the positive x-axis or else the volume will be infinite. What did I do wrong here?

You have a mistake solving for x in 1/x + 2/y + 2/z = 1. 1/x=1-(2/y+2/z). That's
x=1/(1-(2/y+2/z)). Not the same as your expression. I missed it. Sorry.

Related to Volume in first octant cut off by a plane

What is the definition of "Volume in first octant cut off by a plane"?

Volume in first octant cut off by a plane refers to the amount of space enclosed by a three-dimensional shape formed by a plane intersecting with the first octant (the region where all three coordinates are positive) of a three-dimensional coordinate system.

How is the volume in the first octant cut off by a plane calculated?

The volume in the first octant cut off by a plane can be calculated by finding the area of the shape formed by the intersection of the plane and the first octant, and then multiplying it by the distance from the plane to the origin (0,0,0).

What is the significance of the first octant in this calculation?

The first octant is significant because it represents the positive region of a three-dimensional coordinate system. By cutting off a portion of this region with a plane, we can calculate the volume of a specific shape within the first octant.

Can the volume in the first octant cut off by a plane be negative?

No, the volume in the first octant cut off by a plane cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value. If the result of the calculation is negative, it means that the plane does not intersect with the first octant and there is no enclosed space.

How can the concept of volume in the first octant cut off by a plane be applied in real life?

The concept of volume in the first octant cut off by a plane can be applied in various fields, such as engineering and architecture, to calculate the volume of objects or structures that are formed by intersecting planes. It can also be used in physics, for example, to calculate the amount of fluid contained in a container with an irregular shape.