Volume of 2-sphere using triple integration (rect. cord)

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a 2-sphere in rectangular coordinates, with a radius at r from the origin. The equations and limits for a triple integral are provided, and the student asks for clarification on how to extend the problem to a 3-sphere and 4-sphere using quadruple and quintuple integrals, respectively. They also mention being absent from class and needing help with the notes.
battlebball

Homework Statement

Can anyone help me with the volume of a 2-sphere in rect cordinates? I'm having problems with the limits of the triple integral. Ultimately I will need to go beyond the 2-sphere to a 3 and 4 using quadruple and five integrals respectively. Radius at r from 0 vector.

Homework Equations

x^2+y^2+z^2+u^2=r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assume the eq. is x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2
If I have x as my first and dependent interval would the limit be from -r to r?

2nd limit: -(r^2-x^2)1/2 to (r^2-x^2)1/2?

3rd limit: -(r^2-x^2-y^2)1/2 to (r^2-x^2-y^2)1/2

so then if I wanted to go to a 3 etc:

4th limit: -(r^2-x^2-y^2-u^2)1/2 to (r^2-x^2-y^2-u^2)1/2??I appreciate the help, I've been sick from class a few days and need help with the notes from class.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
battlebball said:
So I assume the eq. is x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2
If I have x as my first and dependent interval would the limit be from -r to r?

2nd limit: -(r^2-x^2)1/2 to (r^2-x^2)1/2?

3rd limit: -(r^2-x^2-y^2)1/2 to (r^2-x^2-y^2)1/2

If by 1st, 2nd, and 3rd limits, you mean the outer, middle, and inner limits on a dzdydx integral, then yes, those look OK.

Related to Volume of 2-sphere using triple integration (rect. cord)

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a 2-sphere using triple integration?

The formula for calculating the volume of a 2-sphere using triple integration is ∭V = ∭∭∭1 r^2 sin(θ) dr dθ dφ, where r is the radius of the sphere, θ is the angle between the z-axis and the radius, and φ is the angle between the x-axis and the projection of the radius onto the xy-plane.

2. How is triple integration used to find the volume of a 2-sphere?

Triple integration is used to find the volume of a 2-sphere by dividing the sphere into infinitesimally small elements, calculating the volume of each element using triple integration, and then summing up all of the volumes to find the total volume of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of using a rectangular coordinate system in triple integration for finding the volume of a 2-sphere?

Using a rectangular coordinate system in triple integration allows for a more straightforward and accurate calculation of the volume of a 2-sphere. It also helps to ensure that the entire volume of the sphere is accounted for in the calculation.

4. Can the volume of a 2-sphere be calculated using other methods besides triple integration?

Yes, the volume of a 2-sphere can also be calculated using other methods such as using spherical coordinates or using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere.

5. Are there any limitations to using triple integration for finding the volume of a 2-sphere?

One limitation of using triple integration for finding the volume of a 2-sphere is that it can be a time-consuming and complex process, especially for spheres with large radii. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation can be affected by the chosen limits of integration and the precision of the calculations.