Volume of a Pyramid: 474 ft & 11.0 Acres

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a pyramid with a height of 474 ft and a base covering an area of 11.0 acres. The volume is given by the expression V = 1/3 Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height. To solve this problem, one must first convert the acres to ft^2 and then convert the height to meters. Finally, the volume can be calculated by multiplying the converted area by the height and dividing by 3.
r.anthony
1. A pyramid has a height of 474 ft and its base covers an area of 11.0 acres. The volume of a pyramid is given by the expression V = 1/3 Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height. Find the volume of this pyramid in cubic meters. (1 acre = 43 560 ft2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

One of the rules around here is that we help and don't do it for you. Many people know how to solve your problem but that doesn't help you if they do it for you.

Hence you must make an effort to come up with a solution.

So how would you approach this pyramid?

Hey LowlyPion thanks for the welcome. Appreciate the advice. Thinking about it, I guess I would convert the acres of the pyramid into ft^2 first. the height is given so i guess i would multiply that by what 11 acres is in ft^2 then multiply that answer by 1/3. although I'm a bit confused. Since 1 acre is 43560 ft^2, am I right by multiplying 11 by 43560 or do I need to square 43560 first then multiply by 11? then again there's converting ft into m i think

Last edited:
Personally, I'd convert everything to meters at the start, since that is the units for the answer.
Google said:
1 acres = 4 046.85642 square meters

You can convert the height straight away.

The rest is ...

FAQ: Volume of a Pyramid: 474 ft & 11.0 Acres

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a pyramid?

The formula for calculating the volume of a pyramid is V = (1/3) * Base Area * Height. In this case, the base area would be the area of the base of the pyramid, and the height would be the height of the pyramid.

How do you find the base area of a pyramid?

The base area of a pyramid can be found by multiplying the length and width of the base together. In this case, the length would be 474 ft and the width would be 474 ft, giving us a base area of 224,676 ft2.

What is the height of the pyramid?

We cannot determine the height of the pyramid with the given information. The height would need to be provided or calculated using other measurements, such as the slant height and base angles.

What is the unit of measurement for the volume of a pyramid?

The unit of measurement for the volume of a pyramid is typically cubic feet (ft3) or cubic meters (m3). In this case, the volume would be 74,892 ft3.

How does the volume of a pyramid compare to the volume of a cube with the same base area and height?

The volume of a pyramid is less than the volume of a cube with the same base area and height. This is because a pyramid has a slanted shape and a cube is a solid shape with all sides equal. The volume of a cube with the same base area and height would be 224,676 ft3.