Volume of a Region inside a cylinder and sphere (Symbolic)

In summary, the task was to set up an iterated integral for the volume of the region W, which is inside a cylinder and inside a sphere with given equations and constraints. The solution involved converting to cylindrical coordinates and setting up a triple integral with the appropriate bounds. The resulting integral is [rdzdthetadr], where -sqrt(b^2-r^2)<=z<=sqrt(b^2-r^2), 0<=theta<=2pi, and 0<=r<=a. The solution may seem simple, but it took some time for the person to figure out.
xipe

Homework Statement

Suppose W is the region inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=a^2 and inside the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=b^2, where 0<a<b.
Set up an iterated integral for the volume of W

Homework Equations

x^2+y^2+z^2=b^2
x^2+y^2=a^2
0<a<b

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted to cylindrical coordinates and tried to set up the triple integral as follows
[rdzdthetadr], where -sqrt(b^2-r^2)<=z<=sqrt(b^2-r^2), 0<=theta<=2pi, 0<=r<=a. Am I at least on the right track for the integral? Any help is seriously appreciated. Thank you! :)
P.S. (<= is meant to be 'less than or equal to'), just figured I'd clarify :)

Physics news on Phys.org
xipe said:

Homework Statement

Suppose W is the region inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=a^2 and inside the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=b^2, where 0<a<b.
Set up an iterated integral for the volume of W

Homework Equations

x^2+y^2+z^2=b^2
x^2+y^2=a^2
0<a<b

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted to cylindrical coordinates and tried to set up the triple integral as follows
[rdzdthetadr], where -sqrt(b^2-r^2)<=z<=sqrt(b^2-r^2), 0<=theta<=2pi, 0<=r<=a. Am I at least on the right track for the integral? Any help is seriously appreciated. Thank you! :)
P.S. (<= is meant to be 'less than or equal to'), just figured I'd clarify :)
That looks correct.

Thank you for the reply. I spend way longer than I should have on this problem. I thought it was more complicated than this, so I am happy that the solution was easier than expected. Cheers! :)

Related to Volume of a Region inside a cylinder and sphere (Symbolic)

1. How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr3, where r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Can the volume of a region inside a cylinder or sphere be negative?

No, the volume of a region inside a cylinder or sphere cannot be negative as it represents the amount of space enclosed by the shape and is always a positive value.

4. How do you find the volume of a region inside both a cylinder and a sphere?

To find the volume of a region inside both a cylinder and a sphere, you would first calculate the volume of the cylinder and then subtract the volume of the sphere from it. This would give you the volume of the region inside both shapes.

5. Can the volume of a region inside a cylinder or sphere be greater than the volume of the shape itself?

No, the volume of a region inside a cylinder or sphere cannot be greater than the volume of the shape itself as it is a part of the overall volume and cannot exceed it.