Volume of a Solid-Revolution About X-Axis

• Thread starter Justabeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the volume of a solid created by revolving a region bounded by curves around the x-axis. The equation used is V=\pi \int_{x_0}^{x_1} \mathrm{d} x \; [f(x)]^2, where f(x) is the function representing the curve.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Consider the region bounded by the curves y= (x)/(1-x) , x= 0, x=(1/2), y=0.
Calculate the volume of the solid that is created when this region is revolved about the x-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the work I have so far, but it seems to be giving me undefined answers, and I know this can't possibly be right.

V= [itex] \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} [\frac{x}{1-x}]^{2}\, dx [/itex] Whole thing is squared, by the way.
∏ * [itex] \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} [\frac{x}{1-x}]^{2}\, dx [/itex]
∏ * [itex] (\left. x + \frac{1}{(1-x)} + 2 ln (x-1))\right|_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} [/itex]

Would appreciate any help on this as I've been working on it for hours and can't seem to figure out what's going on. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your integral is correct though you might need to change 2ln(x-1) to ln(x-1)2 to not get an undefined answer.

Use this :

##2ln(x-1) = ln(x^2-2x+1)## and it will evaluate properly.

So now I get:

pi * (x + 1/(1-x) + ln(x-1)^(2) | 0 and 1/2 being lower and upper limits of integration respectively
pi(0.5 + 2 + ln(1/4)) - pi (0 + 1 + 0)
5/2*(pi) + ln(1/4)*pi - pi
3/2*(pi) + ln(1/4)*pi

Is this correct? Thank you !

I agree with you answer.
In your initial post, the error is that ##\int\frac {dx}x = \ln(|x|)##.
Fwiw, you can avoid that complication and the partial fractions by substituting w = 1-x.

Also don't forget that there's a factor [itex]\pi[/itex] missing. The volume is
[tex]V=\pi \int_{x_0}^{x_1} \mathrm{d} x \; [f(x)]^2.[/tex]
This is easily seen from the geometric derivation of the integral, which sums infinitesimal cylindrical discs of height [itex]\mathrm{d} x[/itex] and radius [itex]f(x)[/itex].

Related to Volume of a Solid-Revolution About X-Axis

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid revolution about the x-axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid revolution about the x-axis is ∫[a,b] π(y)^2dx, where a and b represent the boundaries of the solid and y is the function of the curve being rotated.

Can the volume of a solid revolution about the x-axis be negative?

No, the volume of a solid revolution about the x-axis cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space enclosed by the solid, and therefore must be a positive value.

What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a solid of revolution about the x-axis?

A solid of revolution refers to any 3D shape created by rotating a 2D shape around an axis. A solid of revolution about the x-axis specifically refers to the shape created by rotating a 2D shape around the x-axis.

How is the volume of a solid revolution about the x-axis calculated using integration?

The volume of a solid revolution about the x-axis is calculated by taking the integral of the cross-sectional area of the solid with respect to the x-axis.

What are some real-world applications of calculating the volume of a solid revolution about the x-axis?

Calculating the volume of a solid revolution about the x-axis is commonly used in engineering, architecture, and physics to determine the volume of objects such as pipes, bottles, and containers. It can also be used to calculate the displacement of water in a rotating cylinder, which is important in the design of centrifuges and other rotating equipment.

Back