Volume of a solid w/known cross section

So, in summary, to find the volume of the solid bounded by y=x, y=(x-1)^2, and x = 1, with semicircular cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis, you can use the formula for the volume of a semicircular disk and find the intersection of the two given equations to determine the limits of integration. Then, use the Riemann Sum and definite integral formulas to calculate the volume. Make sure to use the correct lower limit of integration.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

The base region of a solid is bounded by y=x, y=(x-1)^2, and x = 1.

The cross sections are semicircles perpendicular to the x-axis.

Write a riemann sum and definite integral.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I wrote down the formula for a semicircular disk's volume. 1/2(pi(r^2)(h))

I then found the intersection of y=x and y=(x-1)^2 to be .382 and another value that was greater than 1, so I ditched it.

I then wrote down the diameter of any given disk as x - (x-1)^2 or -x^2 + 3x - 3, so radius is half of that, and I defined the height of each disk to be delta x.

So, I wrote the Riemann Sum as: (limit as delta x approaches 0)

[itex]\Sigma \frac{\pi}{4}(-x^{2}+3x-3)^{2}\Delta x[/itex]

And therefore wrote a definite integral as:

[itex]\frac{\pi}{4} \int^{1}_{.382} (-x^{2}+3x-3)^{2} dx[/itex]

Did I do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good. The true value for the lower limit of integration is, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2}\,.[/itex]

FAQ: Volume of a solid w/known cross section

1. How do you calculate the volume of a solid with known cross section?

The volume of a solid with a known cross section can be calculated by finding the area of the cross section and multiplying it by the length of the solid. This can be done using various integration techniques, such as the disk method or the shell method.

2. What is the difference between the disk method and the shell method?

The disk method is used when the cross section of the solid is a circle, while the shell method is used when the cross section is a rectangle or a hollow shape. The disk method involves adding up the volumes of many thin disks, while the shell method involves adding up the volumes of many thin cylinders.

3. Can the volume of a solid with known cross section be negative?

No, the volume of a solid with known cross section cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by an object, and it is always a positive value.

4. What if the cross section of the solid is not a simple shape?

If the cross section of the solid is not a simple shape, such as a circle or rectangle, then it may be necessary to break the solid into smaller sections with known cross sections. The volumes of these smaller sections can then be calculated separately and added together to find the total volume of the solid.

5. Can the volume of a solid with known cross section be calculated using a different method?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the volume of a solid with known cross section, such as the prismoidal formula or the Cavalieri's principle. However, integration methods are the most commonly used and reliable methods for finding the volume of a solid with known cross section.

Back