Volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid obtained by drilling a cylindrical hole through the center of a sphere. The question is whether the volume of the remaining solid depends on the size of the sphere or only on the length of the hole. The suggestion is to solve the problem using cylindrical shells, and to consider revolving the shaded area around the x-axis to find the volume.
dhphysics
Hello all,

I am doing homework and have come upon this question:
A cylindrical hole is drilled all the way through the center of a sphere (as shown in the figure below). Show that the volume of the remaining solid depends only on the length L of the hole, not on the size of the sphere.
Figure:
Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 2.25.22 PM.png

I think the problem should be solved using cylindrical shells, but I'm not sure how I should start it. Can anyone give me a hint?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dhphysics said:
Hello all,

I am doing homework and have come upon this question:
A cylindrical hole is drilled all the way through the center of a sphere (as shown in the figure below). Show that the volume of the remaining solid depends only on the length L of the hole, not on the size of the sphere.
Figure:
View attachment 88013

I think the problem should be solved using cylindrical shells, but I'm not sure how I should start it. Can anyone give me a hint?

Thanks
If this is homework, in future, please fill out the Homework template and post it in the relevant HW forum.

[Note: I've moved this thread to the Calculus HW forum for you.]

Hello dhph,

How about if you try to find the volume of such a bead by revolving the shaded area around the x-axis ? Good chance R drops out !

upload_2015-8-31_0-8-24.png

Related to Volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole is V = (4/3)π(R^3 - r^3), where R is the radius of the sphere and r is the radius of the cylindrical hole.

2. How is the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole different from a regular sphere?

The volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole is different from a regular sphere because it includes the volume of the cylindrical hole, which is subtracted from the volume of the sphere.

3. Can the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole be negative?

No, the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole cannot be negative. It is a measure of the amount of space inside the shape, and space cannot have a negative value.

4. How do you measure the radius of the cylindrical hole in a sphere?

To measure the radius of the cylindrical hole in a sphere, you can use a ruler or caliper to measure the diameter of the hole and then divide by 2 to get the radius.

5. Can the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole be calculated if the radius of the spherical part is unknown?

No, the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole cannot be calculated if the radius of the spherical part is unknown. The formula requires both the radius of the sphere and the radius of the cylindrical hole to be known.