Volume of a surface of revolution

In summary, the top of a rubber band bushing is designed to absorb vibrations in an automobile. The surface of a revolution generated by revolving the curve z = (0.5y^2) + 2 is used to find the volume of the rubber band bushing.
hagobarcos

Homework Statement

The top of a rubber band bushing is designed to absorb vibrations in an automobile is the surface of a revolution generated by revolving the curve z = (0.5y^2) + 2
for (0<= y <= 3) in the yz plane about the z axis.

use the shell method to find its volume.

Homework Equations

V = 2pi ∫radius*height dy

The Attempt at a Solution

v = 2pi ∫y(4-0.5y^2) dy evaluated from 0 to 3.

This is wrong, how to i go about setting up the integral for this? Have trouble with these.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine that the curve revolve around the z-axis, and you can divide this volume into as many cylinders as u like to approximate this volume,

volume of cylinder,
[itex]V_{cylinder} = \pi r^2l[/itex]

but in this case, the [itex]r = y, l = dz[/itex]
thus, your small cylinder volume, [itex]dV[/itex]
[itex]dV = \pi y^2 dz[/itex]

by integrating both side,
[itex]V = \pi \int y^2 dz[/itex]

Likes 1 person
hagobarcos said:

Homework Statement

The top of a rubber band bushing is designed to absorb vibrations in an automobile is the surface of a revolution generated by revolving the curve z = (0.5y^2) + 2
for (0<= y <= 3) in the yz plane about the z axis.

use the shell method to find its volume.

Homework Equations

V = 2pi ∫radius*height dy

The Attempt at a Solution

v = 2pi ∫y(4-0.5y^2) dy evaluated from 0 to 3.
This is wrong. Yes, y is the radius but the height is the distance from the point (y, .5y^2+ 2) to the top of the figure which is at (y, .5(3)^2+ 2)= (y, 13/2). The height is 13/2- y^/2- 2= 9/2- y^2/2. 4.5- 0.5y^2, not 4- 0.5y^2.
This is wrong, how to i go about setting up the integral for this? Have trouble with these.

HallsofIvy said:
the height is the distance from the point (y, .5y^2+ 2) to the top of the figure which is at (y, .5(3)^2+ 2)= (y, 13/2).
I don't see how you deduce that. It says the curve is the top; doesn't say where the base is, but the XY plane seems a reasonable assumption.

Likes 1 person
alright, so using advice from HallsofIvy, i set the integral up like this:

V = 2pi ∫y(9/2 - 0.5y^2) dy , evaluated from y = 0 to 3.

it comes out to 63.6174.

This also appears to be wrong, and although the site does not give me the answer they want, in the guided practice they demonstrate solving the problem by switching to the x and z axis, and then
setting up an integral for volume in terms of x.

How do I switch variables?

Attached is a photo of the guided solution to a similar problem.

Attachments

• cal hw 11.6.jpg
    cal hw 11.6.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
hagobarcos said:
alright, so using advice from HallsofIvy, i set the integral up like this:

V = 2pi ∫y(9/2 - 0.5y^2) dy , evaluated from y = 0 to 3.

it comes out to 63.6174.

This also appears to be wrong,
So what if you take the curve to be the top (as stated in the OP) and the base to be z=0?

Okay, so just looking at the lid of this figure, it is a circle, with radius of 3, and an area of 9pi.

The rest of it looks sort of like a cup, that tapers down, the radius getting smaller and smaller, and the sides steeper and steeper until y = 0, at which point z = 2,[STRIKE] but for the sake of argument that is irrelevant [/STRIKE]... or is it?

Since the cup is actually "floating" above the y-axis in 3 space, then the calculations need to be adjusted accordingly.

The the maximum height of a rod placed in the center, right where the axis of rotation is, would be about 9/2 units in length, before it started peeking out of the cup.

Thus the figure is inside a cylinder of height 9/2, radius 3.

So for tiny pipes starting at the z axis and radiating outward, the radius of each pipe would be y units, but the
height of each pipe would be z - 2, to account for the gap by floating.

According to the Shell Method, the volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated by
V = 2pi ∫radius*height*width

Since in this case y happens to be my independent variable, I want to write it like this:

V = 2pi ∫ y * (0.5y^2 ) dy , evaluated from y = 0, to y = 3.

hagobarcos said:
So for tiny pipes starting at the z axis and radiating outward, the radius of each pipe would be y units, but the
height of each pipe would be z - 2, to account for the gap by floating.
Now you're finding the volume between z=2 and z=2+0.5y2.
I believe the question wants the volume between z=0 and z=2+0.5y2.

Aw jeeze, still messing up. How about I treat the line z = 6 as the top curve, and z = 0.5y^2 as the bottom curve.

To find the height of a tiny slice,

Height = 6 -0.5y^2

Radius = y

Width = dy

Volume = 2pi integral( y*(6-(0.5y^2)))dy

Evaluated from 0 to 3

hagobarcos said:
Aw jeeze, still messing up. How about I treat the line z = 6 as the top curve, and z = 0.5y^2 as the bottom curve.
Why would you do that? Why not z = 2+0.5y2 as the top and z = 0 as the bottom, as I keep suggesting?

Ah. Yes because, well attached is a photo.

Part of the problem is that I have been thinking about a different equation for the problem, different coefficient, so the previous response was also a bit off.

But the rest of it is as follows:

As illustrated in the photo, forgive me for the poor scaling/artistry, the volume trapped between z = 0 and z = y^2 is a very large chunk in comparison to the orange portion which is between z = 4 and z = y^2 + 2.

And to prove this: I did the integral both ways:

First way, 2pi ∫(y*(4-(0.5y^2 + 2 )))dy
From y = 0 to y = 3, the answer is -7.06858.

Now this should be positive, yes, so took absolute value of it for 7.068.

Second way, 2pi ∫(y*(0.5y^2 +2))dy
From y = 0 to y = 3, the answer is 120.165.

Now, which is correct? Well finally, for a cylinder of radius 3, and height 4, the total volume by v = pi r² h = 113.09 cm^3

Weird, right? BUT, if and only if, you subtract out the second way, 113.09 - 120.165, equals -7.068.

Take absolute value, you get 7.068. :D

So therefore, it appears we were each finding a different piece of the whole solid of revolution.
The first way is the little cup, the second way is the large base from which the cup was cut or milled out.

And yes, I should flip my integral so the answer comes out positive.

Either way, the difference is still the little cup that I am looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_7137.jpg
    IMG_7137.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 442

Related to Volume of a surface of revolution

What is the "Volume of a surface of revolution"?

The volume of a surface of revolution is the measure of the space enclosed by a two-dimensional shape that has been rotated around a specific axis to form a three-dimensional object. This concept is commonly used in mathematics and physics to calculate the volume of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

How do you calculate the volume of a surface of revolution?

The formula for calculating the volume of a surface of revolution depends on the specific shape being rotated. In general, the volume can be calculated by taking the integral of the cross-sectional area of the shape as it is rotated around the axis of revolution. This can be expressed as V = ∫A(x)dx, where A(x) is the area of the cross-section at a given point x.

What is the axis of revolution?

The axis of revolution is the imaginary line around which a two-dimensional shape is rotated to create a three-dimensional object. This line is usually perpendicular to the plane of the shape and passes through its center of mass. The choice of axis of revolution can affect the resulting volume of the surface of revolution.

What are some real-world applications of the volume of a surface of revolution?

The concept of the volume of a surface of revolution has many practical applications, such as in architecture and engineering. It is used to calculate the volume of objects like pipes, tanks, and bottles. It is also used in physics to analyze the volume of rotating objects, such as planets and stars.

Can the volume of a surface of revolution be negative?

No, the volume of a surface of revolution cannot be negative. Since volume is a measure of space, it cannot have a negative value. However, the result of the calculation can be negative if the axis of revolution is not chosen correctly or if the formula is not applied correctly. In such cases, the result should be interpreted as an error rather than a negative volume.

Back