Volume of a tetrahedron using triple integration

In summary, the volume of the tetrahedron in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane passing through (1,0,0), (0,2,0) and (0,0,3) is 2.
aliaze1

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the tetrahedron in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane passing through (1,0,0), (0,2,0) and (0,0,3)

Homework Equations

V=∫∫∫dV
...D

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the problem as so:

1 -2x+2...-3x+3
∫ ∫...∫...dz dy dx
0 0...0

(the dots are not significant, they are only for spacing)

and integrated...

the result is -1, but this is wrong because:

1. a volume cannot be negative
2. the book answer is 1

Physics news on Phys.org
actually, i realize that the line should be

-1½x+3 instead of -3x+3

still, i get the answer as 2...

aliaze1 said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the tetrahedron in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane passing through (1,0,0), (0,2,0) and (0,0,3)

Homework Equations

V=∫∫∫dV
...D

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the problem as so:

1 -2x+2...-3x+3
∫ ∫...∫...dz dy dx
0 0...0

How did you get z= -3x+3 for the upper limit? Doesn't z change as y changes?

(the dots are not significant, they are only for spacing)

and integrated...

the result is -1, but this is wrong because:

1. a volume cannot be negative
2. the book answer is 1

aliaze1 said:
actually, i realize that the line should be

-1½x+3 instead of -3x+3

still, i get the answer as 2...
Again, you should not be thinking of a line. The first integral should be from the xy-plane up to the plane forming the upper boundary.

First, as I presume you have done, draw a picture. The base, in the xy-plane, is the triangle bounded by the x-axis, the y-axis, and the line from (1,0) to (0,2): its equation is y= 2- 2x. Obviously, we can cover the entire triangle by taking x running from 0 to 1 and, for each x, y running from 0 to 2-2x. The plane through (1, 0, 0), (0, 2, 0), and (0, 0, 3) has equation
[tex]x+ \frac{y}{2}+ \frac{z}{3}= 1[/tex]
or
[tex]z= 1- 3x-\frac{3y}{2}[/tex]
The volume is given by
[tex]\int_{x=0}^1\int_{y= 0}^{2-2x}\int_{z=0}^{1-3x-\frac{3y}{2}} dzdydx[/tex]
Integrate that and see what you get.

honestly, this problem can be made very easy like this:
volume= 1/3height * area of base. Height is z=3, area of base is the area of a right triangle with two sides being 1 and 2. Therefore, V=1.

Yes. In fact, the volume of any tetrahedron with vertices at (a, 0, 0), (0, b, 0), and (0, 0, c) is (1/6)abc but I assumed from the original post that he wanted to do this without using specific formulas.

thanks for your help everyone, indeed the issue was the Z limit...and yea i needed to know how to do it without specific formulas (it was on a Calculus III test) but I did use the formulas to confirm my answer

Related to Volume of a tetrahedron using triple integration

What is the formula for finding the volume of a tetrahedron using triple integration?

The formula for finding the volume of a tetrahedron using triple integration is V = ∫∫∫ dxdydz, where the limits of integration are determined by the coordinates of the four vertices of the tetrahedron.

Why is triple integration necessary for finding the volume of a tetrahedron?

Triple integration is necessary because a tetrahedron is a three-dimensional object and requires three variables (x, y, and z) to describe its volume. Triple integration allows us to integrate over each variable to find the total volume.

What are the steps involved in using triple integration to find the volume of a tetrahedron?

The first step is to set up the limits of integration for each variable, which are determined by the coordinates of the four vertices of the tetrahedron. Then, integrate the function 1 with respect to each variable. Finally, multiply the three integrals together to find the total volume.

Can triple integration be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional shape?

Yes, triple integration can be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional shape as long as the limits of integration are properly set up and the function being integrated is appropriate for the shape.

Are there any alternative methods for finding the volume of a tetrahedron without using triple integration?

Yes, the volume of a tetrahedron can also be found using the formula V = (1/3) * base area * height, where the base area is the area of one of the triangular faces and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex. This method is more commonly used in geometry and is easier to understand, but may not be as accurate as using triple integration.