Volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom

In summary, the shape described is a solid with two parts: a cube with sides of length 1 and a triangular shape on top. The volume of the cube is 1 and the volume of the triangular shape is found by taking half the base (1) and multiplying it by the height (which varies from 0 to 1). By integrating these slices, the volume of the entire shape can be found to be 5/4.
Dustinsfl
How do I find the volume of this shape? The bottom is a square in the xy plane where \(0\leq x,y\leq 1\).

The object isn't a prism or pyramid so I am not sure what to do.

View attachment 1255

Attachments

• c05.pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 57
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I am interpreting this correctly, for $0\le z\le1$ you have a cube whose sieds are 1 unit in length, and for $1\le z\le2$ you have a solid whose cross-sections perpendicular to either the $x$ or $y$ axes are right triangles whose bases are 1 unit in length and altitudes vary linearly from 0 to 1, and so the volume by slicing is:

\(\displaystyle V=1+\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 x\,dx=\frac{5}{4}\)

MarkFL said:
If I am interpreting this correctly, for $0\le z\le1$ you have a cube whose sieds are 1 unit in length, and for $1\le z\le2$ you have a solid whose cross-sections perpendicular to either the $x$ or $y$ axes are right triangles whose bases are 1 unit in length and altitudes vary linearly from 0 to 1, and so the volume by slicing is:

\(\displaystyle V=1+\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 x\,dx=\frac{5}{4}\)

How did you derive this formula? Is the 1 the volume of the cube or is that part of the triangular shape?

Yes the 1 is the volume of the cubical portion of the solid, and for the upper part, the volume of a particular slice is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\frac{1}{2}bh\,dx\)

where the base is a constant 1 and the height is $x$, hence:

\(\displaystyle dV=\frac{1}{2}x\,dx\)

and so summing the slices (and adding in the cubical portion), we find:

\(\displaystyle V=1+\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 x\,dx\)

To find the volume of this shape, you could use the formula for the volume of a pyramid, which is V = (1/3) * base area * height. In this case, the base area would be the area of the square, which is 1 * 1 = 1. The height of the shape can be determined by finding the distance between the base and the top of the triangle, which would be the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the sides of the square and the height of the shape. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the height to be √2. Plugging these values into the formula, we get V = (1/3) * 1 * √2 = √2/3, which is the volume of the triangle type shape with a square bottom.

Related to Volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom?

The formula for calculating the volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom is V = (1/3) x b^2 x h, where b is the length of one side of the square base and h is the height of the triangle.

How do I measure the length of the sides and height for the calculation?

You can measure the length of the sides and height using a ruler or measuring tape. Make sure to use the same unit of measurement, such as inches or centimeters, for all measurements.

Can I use the same formula for any triangle type shape with a square bottom?

Yes, the formula for calculating the volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom is applicable to any triangle shape with a square base, regardless of its size or orientation.

What are the units for the volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom?

The units for the volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom will depend on the units used for the measurements of the sides and height. For example, if the measurements are in inches, the volume will be in cubic inches.

Can the volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom be negative?

No, the volume of a triangle type shape with a square bottom cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space enclosed by the shape and cannot have a negative value.