Volume of a triangular based solid

In summary, the base of a solid is a triangular region bounded by specific lines. The cross-sections perpendicular to the y-axis are squares. To find the volume of S, one would need to determine the length of each square and integrate it from y = 0 to y = 2. No rotation is involved.
spaniks

Homework Statement

the base of a solid is the triangular region bounded by the line x=0 (on the y-axis), the line y = 0 (the x-axis), and the line y = −2x + 2. Cross-sections perpendicular to the
y-axis are squares. Find the volume of S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was not sure where to start with this question. Is it something where is should be using disk shell method and rotating about an axis in order to find a volume? or is it done by finding the area of the triangular base (which I found to be 1) and multiplying by a length? I would really appreciate some help on how I could picture this question and go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
spaniks said:

Homework Statement

the base of a solid is the triangular region bounded by the line x=0 (on the y-axis), the line y = 0 (the x-axis), and the line y = −2x + 2. Cross-sections perpendicular to the
y-axis are squares. Find the volume of S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was not sure where to start with this question. Is it something where is should be using disk shell method and rotating about an axis in order to find a volume? or is it done by finding the area of the triangular base (which I found to be 1) and multiplying by a length? I would really appreciate some help on how I could picture this question and go about it.
There's no rotation involved. Sketch the solid first to get an idea of what it looks like. Use the fact that cross sections perpendicular to the y-axis are squares to get the incremental volume, and then sum those volumes to get the total volume.

No, this is not rotated about an axis nor is it a volume. What you can do is argue that, slicing perpendicular to the y-axis, the volume of each such slice is its area times dy, then integrate with respect to dy.

I chose the y- axis because we are told that the cross sections perpendicular to the y-axis are squares. All you need to do is determine what the side length of each such square is. And a side of each square is from the y-axis to the line y= -2x+ 2. What is the length of that line segment in terms of y?

so if I solved y=-2x+2 for x which would be x=-1/2y+1 it would give me the length of one of the squares and then if I squared it and took the integral I could find the volume?

Yes. And you integrate from y = 0 to y = 2.

FAQ: Volume of a triangular based solid

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a triangular based solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a triangular based solid is (1/3) x Base Area x Height, where the base area is the area of the triangular base and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite face.

2. How do you determine the base area of a triangular based solid?

To determine the base area of a triangular based solid, you need to find the area of the triangle formed by the base. This can be done by using the formula (1/2) x Base x Height, where the base is the length of one side of the triangle and the height is the perpendicular distance from that side to the opposite vertex.

3. Can the volume of a triangular based solid be negative?

No, the volume of a triangular based solid cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and therefore cannot have a negative value.

4. How is the volume of a triangular based solid different from a rectangular prism?

The volume of a triangular based solid is different from a rectangular prism because the base of a triangular based solid is a triangle, while the base of a rectangular prism is a rectangle. This means that the base area and height will be calculated differently and result in a different volume for each solid.

5. Can the volume of a triangular based solid be calculated using different units of measurement?

Yes, the volume of a triangular based solid can be calculated using different units of measurement as long as all the measurements are in the same unit. For example, if the base is measured in meters and the height is measured in centimeters, both measurements need to be converted to the same unit before calculating the volume.

Back