Volume of Region Bounded by Elliptic Paraboloid & Plane z=0

In summary, the problem asks to find the volume of the region bounded by the elliptic paraboloid z = 4 - x^2 - \frac{1}{4}y^2 and the plane z = 0. The given integral, 4 \int_{0}^{2} \int_{0}^{2 \sqrt{4 - x^2}} \left( 4 - x^2 - \frac{1}{4}y^2 \right) dy dx, covers one quadrant of the total volume due to the symmetry of the surface. To find the range of x values for the elliptic paraboloid, set y and z = 0 and solve for x. A sketch can
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region bounded by the elliptic paraboloid [tex]z = 4 - x^2 - \frac{1}{4}y^2[/tex] and the plane z = 0.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start with this. This is how they've set it up:

[tex]4 \int_{0}^{2} \int_{0}^{2 \sqrt{4 - x^2}} \left( 4 - x^2 - \frac{1}{4}y^2 \right) dy dx[/tex]

Looking at the graph hasn't helped me understand how they got this. How did they set the integral up in this way?

I can see that they've got that upper limit of 2*sqrt(4 - x^2) by letting z = 0 and finding y in terms of x. But I haven't the faintest idea why they're integrating from 0 to 2 next, nor why they are multiplying the whole thing by 4... any help?

I would guess that the multiplying by 4 is due to the symmetry of the surface, but I don't understand anything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 4 in front of the double integral tells you that the integral itself covers one quadrant of the total volume.

You are given a function f(x,y) = z and are told to find the volume occupied between the plane z = 0 (which is the x-y plane) and f(x,y) = 0. This is analogous in 2-D geometry to finding the area under a parabola y = x^2 and y = 0 between two values of x.

The problem has been pre-digested for your convenience. All you have to do is turn the crank on evaluating the double integral.

To find the range of x values for the elliptic paraboloid, set y and z = 0 and solve for x.

As always, a sketch can illuminate greatly.

The problem has been pre-digested for your convenience. All you have to dois turn the crank on evaluating the double integral.

Last edited:
Ah that makes a lot more sense, thanks!

Related to Volume of Region Bounded by Elliptic Paraboloid & Plane z=0

1. What is the equation for an elliptic paraboloid?

The equation for an elliptic paraboloid is z = x2 / a2 + y2 / b2, where a and b are the horizontal and vertical radii, respectively.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a region bounded by an elliptic paraboloid and the plane z=0?

The volume of a region bounded by an elliptic paraboloid and the plane z=0 can be calculated using the integral V = ∫∫∫ dV = ∫∫∫ z dxdydz over the region, where the limits of integration are determined by the intersection of the elliptic paraboloid and the plane z=0.

3. Can the volume of a region bounded by an elliptic paraboloid and the plane z=0 ever be negative?

No, the volume of a region cannot be negative. If the integrand is negative in certain regions, it would simply contribute to a decrease in overall volume. The volume of a region is always a positive value.

4. What factors affect the volume of a region bounded by an elliptic paraboloid and the plane z=0?

The volume of a region bounded by an elliptic paraboloid and the plane z=0 is affected by the radii a and b of the elliptic paraboloid, as well as the position of the plane z=0 relative to the paraboloid. The volume will also vary depending on the limits of integration chosen for the integral.

5. How is the volume of a region bounded by an elliptic paraboloid and the plane z=0 related to real-world applications?

The concept of calculating the volume of a region bounded by an elliptic paraboloid and the plane z=0 is commonly used in engineering and physics, particularly in calculating the displacement of fluids or objects in a 3-dimensional space. It can also be applied in fields such as architecture and manufacturing, where precise volume calculations are necessary for designing and constructing structures or objects.