Volume of Revolution: Cylinders vs Washers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid bounded by two curves when rotated around a specific axis. The two methods used are using washers and using cylinders, with the latter resulting in the correct answer. However, there is a discrepancy in the answer using washers, which is found to be incorrect due to the incorrect setup of the integral. The correct setup for the washers method should have the radius as 1-y instead of y, resulting in the correct answer of 7pi/30.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid bounded by the curves [tex] y = x^{1/3} [/tex] and [tex] y = x [/tex] when rotated around y=1.

Homework Equations

Volume with washers:

[tex] V = \pi \int R(x)^{2}-r(x)^{2} dx [/tex]

where R(x) and r(x) are functions of x defining the inner and outer radii of the washers

Volume with cylinders:

[tex] V = 2 \pi \int R(x)*h(x) dx [/tex]

where R(x) is a function of x (or just x) to define the radius of the cylinder and h(x) is a function of x to define the height of the cylinder (could be two functions minus one another)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this both with cylinders and washers and get the right answer with cylinder but am 1/30 units off of the correct answer with washers, can anyone tell me why?

First with cylinders:

[tex] 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} y * (y-y^{3}) dy = 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} y^{2}-y^{4}dy [/tex]

[tex] 2 \pi \int_{0}^{1} y^{2}-y^{4}dy = 2 \pi ( \frac {y^{3}}{3}-\frac {y^{5}}{5}) [/tex]

evaluate at 1 and 0:

[tex] 2 \pi ( \frac {1}{3} - \frac {1}{5}) = \frac {4 \pi} {15} [/tex]

which is correct, now with washers:

[tex] \pi \int_{0}^{1} (1-x)^{2} - (1-x^{1/3})^{2} dx[/tex]

[tex] \pi \int_{0}^{1} 1-2x+x^{2}- (1-2x^{1/3}+x^{2/3}) dx [/tex]

[tex] \pi \int_{0}^{1} -2x +x^{2}+2x^{1/3}-x^{2/3} dx [/tex]

[tex] \pi ( -x^{2} + \frac {x^{3}}{3} + \frac {3x^{4/3}}{2} - \frac {3x^{5/3}}{5}) [/tex]

evaluate at 1 and 0:

[tex] \pi (-1+\frac{1}{3}+\frac{3}{2}-\frac{3}{5})=\frac{7 \pi}{30} [/tex]

Also maple confirms that these are the answers to these two integrals so I must be setting up the second one wrong but i have it all drawn out huge on my blackboard and can not see how you would say anything is different. It must be though! Please help me see where I went wrong here!

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the answer you got using cylinders is correct? Since you are rotating the region about y=1, the radii of your cylinders should be 1-y rather than y.

Yeah man, i am sure that's what it says although I asked my teacher today and you are right the shells are suppose to be 1-y as the radius and the correct answer is 7pi/30. She said that they must have screwed up when filling in the answer.

Thanks for pointing out that if the radius was 1-y then it comes out equal to the first integral with respect to x.

Related to Volume of Revolution: Cylinders vs Washers

1. What is a 3D volume of revolution?

A 3D volume of revolution is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This results in a solid object with a circular cross-section and a continuous surface.

2. How is a 3D volume of revolution calculated?

To calculate a 3D volume of revolution, you first need to determine the formula for the cross-sectional area of the 2D shape being rotated. Then, you can use the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution, which involves integrating the cross-sectional area over the axis of rotation.

3. What are some real-world applications of 3D volumes of revolution?

3D volumes of revolution have many practical applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and manufacturing. They are used to create objects with symmetrical shapes, such as bottles, vases, and cones. They also have applications in physics and calculus, where they are used to model and solve real-world problems.

4. What is the difference between a 3D volume of revolution and a 3D surface of revolution?

A 3D volume of revolution is a solid object created by rotating a 2D shape, while a 3D surface of revolution is a two-dimensional surface created by rotating a 1D curve. In other words, a 3D volume has a thickness and occupies space, while a 3D surface does not.

5. Can any 2D shape be rotated to create a 3D volume of revolution?

Not all 2D shapes can be rotated to create a 3D volume of revolution. The 2D shape must have a continuous perimeter and a single axis of rotation. Additionally, the resulting shape must not intersect itself and must have a consistent cross-sectional area along the axis of rotation.

Back