Volume of Solid using cross sections

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a solid with a base bounded by y=x+1 and y=x^2-1, and a cross section of a square perpendicular to the x-axis. The formula for the volume is delta volume= y^2*delta x, where y is the length of the side of the square and delta x is the width of the slice. The area of the square is the square of the length of the side. To find the volume, we need to subtract the curves from each other, so the integral would be from -1 to 2 of ((x+1)-(x^2-1))^2 dx or ((x+1)^2)-((x^2-1
BigJon

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a solid whose base bounded by y=x+1 and y=x^2-1, with cross section of a square perpendicular to x-axis

The Attempt at a Solution

So i set up the problem like this delta volume= y^2*delta x, that being the area of the square where i get loss is that I am supposed to subtract the curves from one another but don't know if its setup like this:

integral from -1 to 2 ((x+1)-(x^2-1))^2 dx or ((x+1)^2)-((x^2-1)^2) dx, from here i know how to do the rest

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the length of the side of the square is for a given value of x? Then what would be the area of that square?

Haha thanx, now that you put it that way :)

FAQ: Volume of Solid using cross sections

1. What is the concept of volume of solid using cross sections?

The volume of a solid using cross sections is a method used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object by dividing it into an infinite number of smaller two-dimensional cross sections and then adding them together.

2. How do you find the area of a cross section?

The area of a cross section can be found by using basic geometry formulas such as the area of a rectangle, triangle, or circle depending on the shape of the cross section.

3. What is the formula for calculating volume using cross sections?

The formula for calculating volume using cross sections is V = ∫A(x)dx, where A(x) represents the area of the cross section at a specific point along the x-axis and dx represents an infinitesimal change in the x-axis.

4. Can the volume of any solid be calculated using cross sections?

Yes, the volume of any solid with a known cross-sectional area at each point can be calculated using cross sections.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating volume using cross sections?

Calculating volume using cross sections is useful in fields such as architecture, engineering, and manufacturing to determine the amount of material needed for a specific design or product. It is also used in medical imaging to measure the volume of organs or tumors in the human body.

Back