Volume of the Solid bounds and integral

In summary, to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y=e-2x^2, y=0, x=0, x=1 about the y-axis, one needs to carve it into cylinders centered on the y-axis. The integral for this would be ∏∫R^2dx, where R is the radius of each cylinder. The bounds should be taken from the x-axis, with the integral being ∏∫(e-2x^2)dx.
alexs2jennisha
Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating about the y-axis the region bounded by the curves y= e-2x^2, y=0, x=0, x=1.

Should the bounds for the problem be taken from the y-axis or the x-axis?

I think that the integral for this problem would be:

∏∫(e-2x^2)dx , is this correct

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
alexs2jennisha said:
∏∫(e-2x^2)dx , is this correct
That would be the same as ∏∫ydx, which is clearly wrong.
You need to decide how you want to carve up the volume. You could do it in discs centred on the y axis, but that gets a bit messy because the integral falls into two parts (and it will involve logs). More natural is to carve it into cylinders centred on the y axis.

Carving it into cylinders still uses the ∏∫R^2dx formula, right? and then my bounds would be on the y axis?

alexs2jennisha said:
Carving it into cylinders still uses the ∏∫R^2dx formula, right?
Yes, but what is R in this case?
then my bounds would be on the y axis?
No. Each cylinder is centred on the y axis. What are its height, radius and thickness?

would r be the formula but solved for x?

alexs2jennisha said:
would r be the formula but solved for x?

I don't know what you mean by that question. r is not much of a formula.
If you take a slice from y = 0 to y = f(x), and from x to x+dx, in the xy plane, then rotate it around the y axis, what do you get? What is its volume? What integral would you write to add up all these volumes between x = 0 and x = 1?

FAQ: Volume of the Solid bounds and integral

1. What is the definition of volume?

The volume of a solid is the amount of space that it occupies in three-dimensional space.

2. How is volume related to the bounds of a solid?

The bounds of a solid are the limits of its dimensions in space. The volume of a solid can be calculated by finding the integral of the solid's bounds.

3. Why is integrating the bounds necessary for finding the volume of a solid?

Integrating the bounds allows us to find the total volume of a solid by breaking it down into smaller, measurable parts and summing them together.

4. Can the volume of a solid be negative?

No, the volume of a solid cannot be negative. It represents a physical amount of space and cannot have a negative value.

5. How does changing the bounds affect the volume of a solid?

Changing the bounds of a solid can significantly impact its volume. Increasing the bounds will result in a larger volume, while decreasing the bounds will result in a smaller volume.

Back