Volume preserving mapping in R^3

In summary, the homework statement says that there are functions f that preserves volumes in 3D space.
shoplifter
1. Homework Statement

Find all [tex]\mathcal{C}^1[/tex] functions [tex]f(\mathbf{x})[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] such that the mapping [tex]\psi : \mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] also preserves volumes, where

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\psi(\mathbf{x}) = \left(
\begin{array}{c}
x_1 \\
x_1^2 + x_2 \\
f(\mathbf{x})
\end{array} \right).
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Here, the mapping preserves volumes in the sense that for any Jordan domain [tex]D \in \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] the sets [tex]D[/tex] and [tex]\phi(D)[/tex] have the same volume.

Homework Equations

The obvious relevant equation is the Change of Variable theorem. Another one that I used was the fact that the determinant of a triangular matrix is the product of its diagonal entries.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using those two facts, I got the solution [tex]f(\mathbf{x})[/tex] has to be a continuously differentiable function of [tex]x_1, x_2[/tex] plus or minus [tex]x_3[/tex], i.e. it must be of the form

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
f(\mathbf{x}) = g(x_1, x_2) \pm x_3,
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

where [tex]g(x_1, x_2)[/tex] is a continuously differentiable function of two variables. Am I right? Can someone please help?

Thanks very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've got it right. Setting the Jacobian=1 gives |df/dx3|=1. That's what you did, correct?

yes, but can i take the jacobean for a nonlinear mapping like this? is the change of coordinates theorem applicable?

thanks.

Sure it applies. A change of coordinates doesn't have to be linear.

it has to be bijective though, right? but now it seems to me that this *is* going to be bijective, because the first two coordinates fix x_1 and x_2, and the last one therefore fixes x_3.

am i right?

thanks fr ur help, very mcuh.

Sure. If you write psi(x1,x2,x3)=(a,b,c) it's pretty easy to solve for x1, x2 and x3 in terms of a, b and c.

thanks much.

Related to Volume preserving mapping in R^3

1. What is a volume preserving mapping in R^3?

A volume preserving mapping in R^3 is a mathematical concept where a function or transformation preserves the volume of an object in three-dimensional space. This means that the size and shape of the object remains the same after the mapping is applied.

2. How is volume preservation achieved in R^3?

Volume preservation in R^3 is achieved through various methods such as using Jacobian determinants, divergence theorems, and transformation matrices. These methods help to ensure that the volume of an object in three-dimensional space remains unchanged after a mapping is applied.

3. Why is volume preservation important in scientific research?

Volume preservation is important in scientific research because it allows for accurate measurements and comparisons of objects in three-dimensional space. It is also a fundamental concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. What are some real-world applications of volume preserving mapping in R^3?

Volume preserving mapping in R^3 has numerous applications in various fields such as image processing, medical imaging, fluid dynamics, and geometric modeling. It is also used in computer graphics to ensure that objects appear realistic and maintain their original shape and size when transformed.

5. Are there any limitations to volume preserving mapping in R^3?

While volume preserving mapping in R^3 is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. For complex objects with irregular shapes, it may be challenging to accurately preserve volume. Additionally, certain transformations may not be able to preserve volume, such as shear transformations.