Volume- washer method of 1/(1+x^2)

In summary: You could try the washer method but it wouldn't really make sense because if you look at the graph, taking horizontal slices would mean that you would have to change your limits of integration and solve for two integrals. One from y=0 to y=1/5 and the radius would just be constant, and the other from y=1/5 to y=1 with radius being something like x = sqrt((1/y)-1).In summary, the equation y = 1/(1 + x^2) is bounded by y = 0, x = 0, x = 2, and is rotating about x = 2. The volume can be calculated through cylindrical shells using the integral 2pi(2-x
sam2557
Much help would be appreciated here. The equation is 1/(1+x^2). It is bounded by y=0, x=0, x=2, and is rotating about x=2. I know solving the volume would be much easier through cylindrical shells. The equation through shells would be the integration of 2pi(2-x)(1/1+x^2) from 0 to 2. When I calculated the volume through this method my answer was near 8.5. However, when I solved this through the washer method, my answer was no where close. I would appreciate it if someone can help me in solving this equation through the washer method.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try the washer method but it wouldn't really make sense because if you look at the graph, taking horizontal slices would mean that you would have to change your limits of integration and solve for two integrals. One from y=0 to y=1/5 and the radius would just be constant, and the other from y=1/5 to y=1 with radius being something like
x= sqrt( (1/y) - 1 )

Last edited:
sam2557 said:
Much help would be appreciated here. The equation is 1/(1+x^2).
An equation would be y = 1/(1 + x^2). IOW, two expressions connected with =.
sam2557 said:
It is bounded by y=0, x=0, x=2, and is rotating about x=2. I know solving the volume would be much easier through cylindrical shells. The equation through shells would be the integration of 2pi(2-x)(1/1+x^2) from 0 to 2. When I calculated the volume through this method my answer was near 8.5. However, when I solved this through the washer method, my answer was no where close. I would appreciate it if someone can help me in solving this equation through the washer method.

Your integral for the volume using shells is correct. I can't vouch for the value you got, as I haven't calculated the integral. It's possible you made a mistake when you found the volume using disks, since there are two integrals required - one for y between 0 and 1/5, and the other for y between 1/5 and 1. At y = 1/5 the typical volume elements change from disks to washers.

FAQ: Volume- washer method of 1/(1+x^2)

What is the volume-washer method?

The volume-washer method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution, which is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional curve around an axis.

How does the volume-washer method work?

The volume-washer method works by dividing the solid of revolution into infinitely thin washers, or cylindrical shells, and then summing up the volumes of these washers to find the total volume. This is done using the formula V = ∫(2πr)(h)dx, where r is the radius of the washer, h is the height of the washer, and dx represents the thickness of the washer.

What is the equation for using the volume-washer method on the function 1/(1+x^2)?

To use the volume-washer method on the function 1/(1+x^2), the equation is V = ∫(2π)(x)(1/(1+x^2))dx, where x represents the radius of the washer and 1/(1+x^2) represents the height of the washer.

In what situations would the volume-washer method be useful for finding volume?

The volume-washer method is useful for finding the volume of any solid of revolution, such as a sphere, cylinder, or cone. It is particularly useful when the solid is formed by rotating a curve that is not a function, as it allows for the use of a single integral instead of multiple integrals.

What are some potential challenges when using the volume-washer method?

Some potential challenges when using the volume-washer method include accurately setting up the integral and determining the limits of integration. Additionally, the method may be more complex to use for more complicated shapes or when the curve being rotated is not easily defined by a function.

Back