Volumes, applications of integrations

In summary, volume is the measure of the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object. The units of volume depend on the units used to measure the dimensions of the object. Integration is commonly used in engineering, physics, and architecture to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects and to determine the amount of material needed for construction projects. It is also used in fluid mechanics to calculate the volume of fluids in containers or pipes. A definite integral is used to find the exact volume of a three-dimensional object, while an indefinite integral is used to find the general formula for the volume. The method of slicing involves dividing the three-dimensional object into thin slices and summing the volumes of each slice using integration, while the shell method involves summing the
afcwestwarrior
find the volume of the solid by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line,

y=x^4, y=1; about y=2

how do i set up the problem so i can figure out the area, i don't need the answer, and i already graphed it, and i already rotated the graph,

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to find the area since you were asked for volume? Do you want to use a theorem of Pappus? Or would you rather use shells or disks? I don't exactly get the question.

Related to Volumes, applications of integrations

What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the measure of the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object.

What are the units of volume?

The units of volume depend on the units used to measure the dimensions of the object. For example, if the dimensions are measured in meters, the volume will be expressed in cubic meters (m³).

What are some common real-life applications of integration in calculating volumes?

Integration is commonly used in engineering, physics, and architecture to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects and to determine the amount of material needed for construction projects. It is also used in fluid mechanics to calculate the volume of fluids in containers or pipes.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals in relation to volumes?

A definite integral is used to find the exact volume of a three-dimensional object, while an indefinite integral is used to find the general formula for the volume. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific numerical value for the volume, while an indefinite integral gives a function that can be used to find the volume for any given set of dimensions.

How does the method of slicing and the shell method differ in calculating volumes using integrals?

The method of slicing involves dividing the three-dimensional object into thin slices and summing the volumes of each slice using integration. The shell method, on the other hand, involves summing the volumes of cylindrical shells that make up the object. The choice of method depends on the shape of the object and which method is easier to set up for integration.