Volumes with Cylindrical Shell Method

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the method of cylindrical shells to find the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region bounded by given curves about the x-axis. The equations y=4x2 and y=-2x+6 are used to find the points of intersection at x=-3/2 and x=1. The method of cylindrical shells is then explained and it is determined that the integral must be broken into two parts, from y=0 to 4 and from y=4 to 9. The solution is found using the equations (√y)/2 - (-√y)/2 and (2πy√y)dy for the first integral and (2pi*y*((√y)/
Ivan92

Homework Statement

Use the method of cylindrical shells to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the x-axis.

y= 4x2, y=-2x+6

Homework Equations

y= 4x2, y=-2x+6

These 2 equations meet at x= -3/2 and x=1

integral from a to b of (2∏x*f(x)) dx

The answer is 250pi/3.

The Attempt at a Solution

Been spending over an hour with this and can't figure out a way to figure this out by shells. I can do this by discs and got the answer right. However, I want to figure this out by shells. First I drew the graph of these 2 equations to find where they meet at. I then did this:

[itex]\int^{-3/2}_{1}[/itex] 2[itex]\pi[/itex]x((-2x-6)-(4x2)) dx

I put this in Wolfram and I did not get the intended answer. I work this out by hand and I am getting something very different from Wolfram. Guidance please! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do do this problem using cylindrical shells, you need to express x as a function of y. The integral will be with respect to y. In other words, your differential has dy in it.

If the region to be rotated is indeed above y = 4x2 and below y = -2x+6, then you will need to break your integral into to pieces; one piece from y = 0 to 4, the other from y=4 to 9.

Ha I figured using y from 4 to 9 but I do not see why 0 to 4. You would be integrating the function itself. Then I don't see what you would do with the 2 integrals.

Draw the graph.

x = ±(√y)/2

So for y = 0 to 4, use (√y)/2 - (-√y)/2

What did you use for y = 4 to 9 ?

I didn't use them, I just found the zeros and got 4 through 9 before, but I kind of didn't know what to do with it. Wouldn't the above just be √y by itself? Here is what I would do now

∫ from 0 to 4 (2πy√y)dy - ∫ from 4 to 9 (2pi*y*((√y)/2+.5y-3)dy)

Would this be right? Thanks for your assistance Sammy S.

Yes, that's right.

Sweet! Thanks for your guidance Sammy!

FAQ: Volumes with Cylindrical Shell Method

What is the Cylindrical Shell Method for finding volumes?

The Cylindrical Shell Method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid shape by integrating the surface area of a cylindrical shell.

What are the main steps of using the Cylindrical Shell Method to find volumes?

The main steps of using the Cylindrical Shell Method are:

1. Identify the boundaries of the solid shape and the axis of rotation.

2. Slice the shape into thin cylindrical shells perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

3. Calculate the surface area of each shell.

4. Use integration to sum up the surface areas of all shells to find the total volume.

What are the advantages of using the Cylindrical Shell Method over other methods for finding volumes?

The Cylindrical Shell Method is often easier to use than other methods, such as the Disk Method, because it does not require the shape to have a specific axis of symmetry. It also allows for more complex shapes to be calculated by breaking them into smaller, simpler cylindrical shells.

What are the limitations of using the Cylindrical Shell Method to find volumes?

The Cylindrical Shell Method can only be used for shapes that can be sliced into cylindrical shells. It also requires a good understanding of integration and may be more difficult to use for non-uniform shapes.

How is the Cylindrical Shell Method applied in real-life situations?

The Cylindrical Shell Method is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the volume of objects with rotational symmetry, such as pipes, tanks, and turbines. It can also be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects by approximating them with smaller cylindrical shells.

Back