Vortices - differentiation of the field in abelian Higgs

In summary: So ∂z/∂x and ∂z/∂y are not partial derivatives of z = arctan(y/x) with respect to x and y?In summary, when discussing vortices, the authors claim that if the function \phi(r,\theta) approaches \nuexp( i\theta) as r goes to infinity, then the gradient of \phi becomes \nu(1/r), expressed in polar coordinates. This can be seen by working out the partial derivatives of the polar angle \theta and using the relation from polar coordinates.
Lapidus
In Zee's "Nutshell QFT" (chapter V.7) or Shifman's book "Avanced Topics in QFT" (section 10) when they talk about vortices, they claim:

if [itex]\phi(r,\theta)[/itex] goes to [itex]\nu[/itex]exp( i[itex]\theta[/itex]) as r goes to infinity

then [itex]\partial_{i}[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex] becomes [itex]\nu[/itex](1/r)

I do not see how? Is the phase equal to 1/r if r goes to r?

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lapidus said:
In Zee's "Nutshell QFT" (chapter V.7) or Shifman's book "Avanced Topics in QFT" (section 10) when they talk about vortices, they claim:

if [itex]\phi(r,\theta)[/itex] goes to [itex]\nu[/itex]exp( i[itex]\theta[/itex]) as r goes to infinity

then [itex]\partial_{i}[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex] becomes [itex]\nu[/itex](1/r)

I do not see how? Is the phase equal to 1/r if r goes to r?

thank you

Just express the gradient in polar coordinates:

$$\nabla f =( \partial_r f )\hat{e}_r + \frac{1}{r} (\partial_\theta f )\hat{e}_\theta.$$

thanks, fzero!

Wait, still not clear...

Especially, what Shifman does or Rubakov in "Classical Theory of Gauge Theories" on page 159, of which I attached a pdf copy down below. Where does the minus sign come from? Are the partial derivatives in polar or x-y coordinates? I know that the 1/r comes from the gradient somehow, as fzero pointed out, but why the Levi-Cita symbol?

I'm sorry, scine I know that it must be super simple and "obvious", but I can't see it.

Very grateful in advance for any extra hints!

Attachments

• Rubakov.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 275
Lapidus said:
Wait, still not clear...

Especially, what Shifman does or Rubakov in "Classical Theory of Gauge Theories" on page 159, of which I attached a pdf copy down below. Where does the minus sign come from? Are the partial derivatives in polar or x-y coordinates? I know that the 1/r comes from the gradient somehow, as fzero pointed out, but why the Levi-Cita symbol?

I'm sorry, scine I know that it must be super simple and "obvious", but I can't see it.

Very grateful in advance for any extra hints!

You should work out ##\partial_i \theta## using the usual relation from polar coordinates that ##\theta = \tan^{-1}(y/x)##. The relative minus sign between the ##x## and ##y## components is related to the appearance of ##x/y## in this formula.

Ok, after all not so super obvious:

Given z = arctan(y/x) = arctan(yx⁻¹):

∂z/∂x = [1/(1 + (y/x)²)] * (∂/∂x)(yx⁻¹)
= [1/(1 + (y/x)²)] * (-yx⁻²)
= [1/(1 + y²/x²)] * (-y/x²)
= -y / (x² + y²).

∂z/∂y = [1/(1 + (y/x)²)] * (∂/∂y)(yx⁻¹)
= [1/(1 + y²/x²)] * (x⁻¹)
= [1/(1 + y²/x²)] * (1/x)
= 1/(x + y²/x)
= x / (x² + y²).

Arghhh, those textbooks that throw just equations at you without explaining anything.

Related to Vortices - differentiation of the field in abelian Higgs

1. What is a vortex in the context of abelian Higgs field theory?

A vortex is a topological defect that can form in certain physical systems, including in the context of abelian Higgs field theory. It is characterized by a localized region where the field is in a different state compared to the surrounding region, resulting in a change in the topology of the field configuration.

2. How does the abelian Higgs field differentiate in the presence of a vortex?

In the presence of a vortex, the abelian Higgs field exhibits a non-trivial winding behavior, where the phase of the field varies around the vortex core. This results in a differentiation of the field as it transitions from one state to another across the vortex core.

3. What is the significance of vortices in abelian Higgs field theory?

Vortices play a crucial role in understanding the dynamics and properties of the abelian Higgs field. They can contribute to the formation of stable topological structures, such as magnetic monopoles, and can also influence the behavior of the field in different energy regimes.

4. How do vortices affect the behavior of the abelian Higgs field in different energy scales?

At low energies, vortices dominate the behavior of the abelian Higgs field, leading to the formation of stable topological structures. As the energy increases, the effects of vortices become less significant, and the field behaves more like a free particle. At even higher energies, the field transitions to a completely different state with no vortices present.

5. Can vortices be experimentally observed in abelian Higgs field theory?

Yes, vortices have been experimentally observed in various physical systems, including superconductors and Bose-Einstein condensates. These systems exhibit similar properties to the abelian Higgs field, making them useful tools for studying the behavior of vortices in this context.