Vt=d doesn't seem to hold true w/ constant acceleration

In summary, when using the equations for distance and time, if there is no initial velocity, the equation will be valid, but if there is initial velocity, the equation will not be valid.
Ocata
Hello,Lets say I start off with constant acceleration of 1 m/s^2, and I want to evaluate it at 3 seconds.

a = 1.
a(3) = 1

then, since at=v,

v(t) = at = 1(3) = 3m/s then I can work backward v/t = a = 3/3 = 1

then, since vt = d

d(t) = vt = 3(3) = 9 then I can work backward d/t= v = 9m/3s = 3m/sThis way, the units make sense acceleration is 1 m/s/s

Take 9 meters. Divide it by 3 seconds. Then divide it again by 3 seconds. And voila, you arrive back at 1m/s/s

_______

However, if I integrate acceleration to get the kinematic equations, it all seems to fall apart and I don't know why.

[itex]\int a (dt) = at +v_0 = v_f[/itex] ,

so evaluating time = 3 with acceleration 1m/s^2,

v(3) = 1(3)+0 = 3m/s then I can work backward v/t = a = 3/3 = 1 => all good still

then

[itex]\int v (dt) = \frac{1}{2}at^2 +v_0(t)+r_0= r_f[/itex],

[itex]r(3) = \frac{1}{2}(1)3^2+0+0=4.5[/itex] so if I work backward this time d/t=v = 4.5/3= 1.5 m/s

But my velocity is 3m/s, not 1.5m/s

So my conclusion is, Distance/Time = Velocity will only hold true if there is 0 acceleration. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or if v is average velocity.

Edit: which is what you get from integrating.

Last edited:
Likes Ocata
Ocata said:
Hello,Lets say I start off with constant acceleration of 1 m/s^2, and I want to evaluate it at 3 seconds.

a = 1.
a(3) = 1

then, since at=v,

v(t) = at = 1(3) = 3m/s then I can work backward v/t = a = 3/3 = 1

then, since vt = d

Nope. This is wrong. This is only true if v is a constant. Since your acceleration is not zero, v is NOT a constant, so this is incorrect.

Think about it, If you have a constant v, you use this equation. You have a non-constant v, you ALSO used this equation. Something's got to give because it can't both be correct.

Zz.

Likes Ocata
Hi ZapperZ,

Thank you for responding.

May I ask, which part is wrong exactly? I am betting that just the first part is wrong and that the second part (which contradicts the first part) is correct, since my final conclusion is:

Ocata said:

So my conclusion is, Distance/Time = Velocity will only hold true if there is 0 acceleration. Is this correct?

I feel that by the end of the work, you are in agreement with my final conclusion. But maybe that you are correcting another point I have missed.

When solving for velocity using each formula, at = v = 3m/s and at + v_0 = 3m/s,

both arrive at the correct answer, but this is only when assuming initial velocity is 0.

But it breaks down when solving for distance, regardless of whether I have initial velocity or initial position.

Is saying "constant velocity" the same thing as saying "0 acceleration."?

Ocata said:
Hi ZapperZ,

Thank you for responding.

May I ask, which part is wrong exactly? I am betting that just the first part is wrong and that the second part (which contradicts the first part) is correct, since my final conclusion is:

Look at the last line I quoted in your post. The use of d=vt is invalid for varying v.

Zz.

Likes Ocata
Thank you. Much appreciated.

FAQ: Vt=d doesn't seem to hold true w/ constant acceleration

1. Why doesn't Vt=d hold true with constant acceleration?

The equation Vt=d represents the relationship between velocity (V), time (t), and displacement (d) for an object moving at a constant speed. However, when an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing over time, making this equation invalid.

2. How do you calculate displacement with constant acceleration?

To calculate displacement with constant acceleration, you can use the equation d = V0t + (1/2)at^2, where V0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation takes into account the changing velocity over time and gives a more accurate measure of displacement.

3. Is there an equation that relates velocity, time, and displacement for constant acceleration?

Yes, the equation V = V0 + at relates velocity, time, and displacement for constant acceleration. This equation takes into account the initial velocity and the acceleration over time to give the final velocity at any given time.

4. Can you explain why Vt=d is only valid for constant speed?

When an object is moving at a constant speed, its velocity does not change over time. This means that the initial velocity (V0) and final velocity (V) are the same, making the equation Vt=d valid. However, when an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing over time, making this equation invalid.

5. How does constant acceleration affect the relationship between velocity, time, and displacement?

With constant acceleration, the relationship between velocity, time, and displacement becomes more complex. The acceleration adds an additional factor to consider, and the equations for displacement and velocity become more involved. It is important to use the correct equations to accurately calculate these values for objects with constant acceleration.