Waiting in Grocery Store Lineup: Find Expected Time & Probability

• Thread starter neglogp
  • Start date
In summary: The answer is no, because the probability that your friend is still waiting when you start to be serviced at the checkout is determined by the same thing (i.e., the probability that the leading customer in your line finishes before you do).
neglogp

Homework Statement

There are two queues at a checkout in a grocery store. You are in Q1, behind 2 people (one of them is just starting to be served). Your friend is in Q2, behind 1 person (who just started to be served). The expected service time is \lambda minutes. The service at each checkout is independent, identical, and exponentially distributed.

(a) What is the expected time until you check out?

(b) What is the probability that your friend is still waiting when you start to be serviced at the checkout?

Homework Equations

Mean of exponential distribution is [itex] \frac{1} { \lambda } [\itex], whenever the parameter is \lambda.
The PDF for an exponential distribution is: p(t) = \lambda e^{-\lambda t}

The CDF for an exponential distribution is: P(t) = 1 - e^{- \lambda t}

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think this is [itex]3 \lambda[\itex], because of the memoryless property. Not sure how to formalize this, though.

(b) I was thinking that I should use the CDF here. Suppose that Q1 is composed of person A and person B. Person A finishes at time s. Person B finishes at time t, t > s. Q2 is composed of person C, who does not finish by time t.

[tex] Pr ($Q1 done by time $t) = Pr($B done by time $t - s) \cdot \int_0^t {Pr(A done by time s)ds}[\tex]

And then Pr(our event) = integral over t from 0 to infinity {Pr(Q1 done by time t) Pr(C not done by time t)}

Using the CDF in all cases. Is this the correct approach?

P.S. How do I write in Latex on these forums?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
neglogp said:

Homework Statement

There are two queues at a checkout in a grocery store. You are in Q1, behind 2 people (one of them is just starting to be served). Your friend is in Q2, behind 1 person (who just started to be served). The expected service time is \lambda minutes. The service at each checkout is independent, identical, and exponentially distributed.

(a) What is the expected time until you check out?

(b) What is the probability that your friend is still waiting when you start to be serviced at the checkout?

Homework Equations

Mean of exponential distribution is [itex] \frac{1} { \lambda } [\itex], whenever the parameter is \lambda.
The PDF for an exponential distribution is: p(t) = \lambda e^{-\lambda t}

The CDF for an exponential distribution is: P(t) = 1 - e^{- \lambda t}

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think this is [itex]3 \lambda[\itex], because of the memoryless property. Not sure how to formalize this, though.

(b) I was thinking that I should use the CDF here. Suppose that Q1 is composed of person A and person B. Person A finishes at time s. Person B finishes at time t, t > s. Q2 is composed of person C, who does not finish by time t.

[tex] Pr ($Q1 done by time $t) = Pr($B done by time $t - s) \cdot \int_0^t {Pr(A done by time s)ds}[\tex]

And then Pr(our event) = integral over t from 0 to infinity {Pr(Q1 done by time t) Pr(C not done by time t)}

Using the CDF in all cases. Is this the correct approach?

P.S. How do I write in Latex on these forums?

It is weird that you use ##\lambda## for the mean; the usual convention is to use ##\lambda## as a rate, so the mean is ##1/ \lambda##. However, if that is what your book or your prof. wrote then you are stuck with it.

For (a) there is nothing much to formalize: it is a fact that ##E \sum_i X_i = \sum_i E X_i##, whether or not the ##X_i## are independent or identically distributed. The only thing you need worry about is whether all ##E X_i## are equal to ##\lambda##, or whether there is something special about the customer currently being served (as compared with the other, as-yet-unserved customers).

For (b): what is the probability that the leading customer (i.e., the one currently in service) in your line finishes before the leading customer in your friend's line? Remember, all service times are iid and exponential. Now, if the leading customer in your line finishes first, you are back to a situation where both you and your friend are next in line. Of course, the customers in front of you both in your respective lines will have completed different amounts of service, but does that really matter in this problem?

Related to Waiting in Grocery Store Lineup: Find Expected Time & Probability

1. What is the purpose of finding the expected time and probability in a grocery store lineup?

The purpose of finding the expected time and probability in a grocery store lineup is to estimate how long it will take for a customer to be served and the likelihood of that specific wait time occurring. This information can help customers plan their shopping trips more efficiently and allow grocery stores to improve their operations.

2. How is the expected time and probability calculated in a grocery store lineup?

The expected time is calculated by multiplying the number of customers in line by the average time it takes to serve a customer. The probability is calculated by dividing the expected time by the total time the store is open, giving the likelihood of a customer having to wait in line for a certain amount of time.

3. What factors can affect the expected time and probability in a grocery store lineup?

The expected time and probability can be affected by various factors, such as the number of open checkout lanes, the number of items each customer has, and the efficiency of the cashiers. It can also be impacted by unexpected events, such as a sudden rush of customers or a malfunctioning cash register.

4. Is there a way to improve the expected time and probability in a grocery store lineup?

Yes, grocery stores can improve the expected time and probability in a lineup by implementing strategies such as opening more checkout lanes during peak hours, training cashiers to work more efficiently, and offering self-checkout options. Additionally, customers can help improve the process by being prepared with their payment method and having their loyalty cards or coupons ready.

5. How accurate are the expected time and probability calculations in a grocery store lineup?

The expected time and probability calculations are only estimates and may not always be completely accurate. They are based on average times and can be affected by unforeseen events. However, they can still provide a good indication of the wait time and likelihood of that wait time occurring in a grocery store lineup.