Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia

• Thread starter TheSkyKing
  • Start date
In summary, someone is seeking information about a type of cancer that affects hair follicles. They initially thought it might be melanoma or lymphoma, but it was diagnosed as trichoepithelioma by John's Hopkins. The person is grateful for any suggestions or information about this type of cancer.
TheSkyKing
Hey everyone. I have a big favor to ask any of you willing to answer. My mother's friend's husband had what looked like a pimple on his face but it never healed. Under the suggestion of his wife he went to the dermatologist and he said it could be one of two things. It could be good or very serious. Now when she told me this I thought that it might be melanoma but John's Hopkins diagonosed it as hair follicle cancer. I tried looking it up online but its not under any type of cancer. I was thinking it might be some type of melanoma or lymphoma. I thought I was pretty close when I found Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia but as I read on the thickening of the blood caused by this rare form of lymphoma it does not seem to be it. My question is, if anyone has any idea what kind of cancer hair follicle cancer falls under please let me know. I would like to learn more about it to possibly help a friend of a friend. Even if its just a suggestion it would do wonders. Thank you. :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
it might be a TRICHOEPITHELIOMA

Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH! You have no idea what this means to me. :)

Related to Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia

What is Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia?

Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia is a rare form of blood cancer that affects the body's immune system. It occurs when abnormal white blood cells known as lymphoplasmacytic cells grow out of control and produce large amounts of a protein called immunoglobulin M (IgM) in the blood.

What are the symptoms of Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia?

The symptoms of Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia can vary, but may include fatigue, weakness, anemia, enlarged lymph nodes, excessive bleeding and bruising, vision problems, and nerve damage. Some patients may not experience any symptoms at all.

Who is at risk for developing Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia?

The exact cause of Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia is unknown, but certain risk factors have been identified. These include age (most commonly diagnosed in people over 60), family history of the disease, and certain genetic mutations.

How is Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia diagnosed?

Diagnosis of Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia involves a combination of blood tests, bone marrow biopsy, and imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, or MRIs. These tests help to confirm the presence of abnormal lymphoplasmacytic cells and elevated levels of IgM in the blood.

What are the treatment options for Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia?

Treatment for Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia depends on several factors, including the patient's age, overall health, and the severity of their symptoms. Treatment options may include chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy, stem cell transplant, or a combination of these treatments. Some patients may not require treatment until symptoms start to appear.