Walking legs as physical pendulum oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses the typical walking speed of a person and how it can be estimated by modelling their legs as a physical pendulum. The length and rotational inertia of the leg are taken into consideration, as well as the frequency of oscillations and the maximum angle of the oscillation. The formula for walking speed is derived and applied to a specific example. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the distance between the rotation axis and the centre of mass of the leg when calculating frequency, and explains how one step can be calculated as a quarter period.
intermu

Homework Statement

The typical walking speed of a person walking at a relaxed pace can be estimated by modelling their legs as a physical pendulum. Assume that the length of a person's leg is L and it pivots about the hip and the leg is tapered (more mass towards the hip and less towards the foot). So that its rotational inertia of the leg is 1/6 MR2

a) Determine the frequency of the oscillations of the leg
b) Derive a formula for the walking speed based on the frequency and the maximum angle of the oscillation
c) What is the walking speed of a person whose legs are 1m long with a center of mass at 0.45m away from the hip who is walking so the maximum angle of their legs is 30deg away from the vertical?

Homework Equations

a) w = sqrt (mgl / I)

Where w = oscillation frequency, m = mass, g = acc due to g, l = length, I = rotational inertia

b) v = -Aw sin(wt+theta)

where A = amplitude.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation at a), w = sqrt (MgL / (1/6) ML2)
w = sqrt (6g / L)

for b), I would have thought to use the formula as I stated in b), but since the example said to use the frequency and the maximum angle, I'm not sure which formula to use.

I thought about using the equivalent of the formula v = u + at, but I don't have the angular acceleration with me. I also briefly thought to use angular momentum to find the angular velocity before converting it to linear velocity but it seems far-fetched.

I also had thought to use a differential equation going by Torque = Ia, where I = rotational inertia and a = angular acc, and equating it to torque = mgl. Then thus, having:

MgL = 1/6 ML^2 a,
6g = aL
a = 6g/L

But I have no idea how that ties in with the question.

I suppose I have the period by playing around with w = 2pi f, turning into w = 2pi / T.

If someone could help, it will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
When calculating the frequency, take care that l is the distance between the rotation axis (at the hip) and the centre of mass of the leg. So it is not equal to the length of the leg.

Walking speed: Think how do you walk. You swing your leg, and at maximum angle you put it down to the ground and pull your body straight above it. Then you swing your other leg. One step is about a quarter period. The length of one step is the distance between your legs at maximum angle.

ehild

Last edited:

Related to Walking legs as physical pendulum oscillations

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid body that is able to swing back and forth around a fixed axis of rotation, similar to a traditional pendulum. However, unlike a traditional pendulum, a physical pendulum has a mass distribution that is not concentrated at a single point.

2. How do walking legs act as physical pendulum oscillations?

Walking legs can act as physical pendulum oscillations due to the presence of a fixed axis of rotation (the joint connecting the leg to the body) and a mass distribution that is not concentrated at a single point (the varying mass distribution along the leg's length).

3. What factors affect the frequency of walking leg oscillations?

The frequency of walking leg oscillations can be affected by the length and weight distribution of the leg, as well as the angle at which the leg swings and the strength and elasticity of the joint connecting the leg to the body.

4. Can walking leg oscillations be used for practical applications?

Yes, walking leg oscillations have been studied for their potential use in energy harvesting and locomotion in robots and other mechanical devices. The energy generated by the oscillations can be harnessed and used to power the movement of the device.

5. How do scientists study walking leg oscillations?

Scientists study walking leg oscillations through a combination of theoretical analysis, computer simulations, and experimental testing. They may also use specialized equipment such as motion capture systems and force sensors to gather data and analyze the movement of the walking leg as a physical pendulum.