Wall of Death Problem: Finding Minimum and Maximum Speed for Rider Stability

Rightarrow v = \sqrt{4gr} = 2\sqrt{gr}= 2\sqrt{9.81 * 10} = 19.798 m/s = 71.24 Km/hYou are correct that the mass drops out.
ab3477

Homework Statement

- FBD of description of forces

- Mass of the rider ( is to decide ) = 70 kg
- Dimensions of the Ride ( is to decide )
Height = 10 meters
Radius = 10 meters

Givens:
gmax= 4 g
Speed of bike = 80 Km/h
Mass of Bike = 180 kg
mu= vertical coefficient of friction = 1.00

Find:
Minimum speed to keep rider on wall
Maximum based on gmax

Homework Equations

Centripetal Acceleration (ac)= V2/ Radius
Fc= m.ac = m. 4pi^2* Radius/ T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

mtotal= 250 kg ( 180 + 70 )
speed of bike in meters = 22.22 m/s
mT*g = direction= downwards= 2452.5 N [Down]

So far this is what I have done for attempt. I'm not asking to do this question.
1) direction of forces..Fg would be down. Normal force?? and what provides the centripetal force.
2) If you can help me do this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you type the exact question?

I assuming its a bkie riding horizontally around the internal surface of a cylinder?

If this the case... the frictional force must balance the gravitational force in the vertical direction for the rider to stay up on the wall

Whilst the reaction force from the wall (horizontally) is exactly that required to change the rider & bike direction motion... ie it is the centripetal force

lanedance said:
I assuming its a bkie riding horizontally around the internal surface of a cylinder?

If this the case... the frictional force must balance the gravitational force in the vertical direction for the rider to stay up on the wall

Whilst the reaction force from the wall (horizontally) is exactly that required to change the rider & bike direction motion... ie it is the centripetal force

yes, it is a vertical cylinder or surface. ( 90 degrees of angle )
I understood that the reaction force is causing motion that is centripetal force.
Weight force would Down. What way would be the reaction force and normal force? and frictional force!
I'm guessing normal force will be perpendicular to surface.
Plus, I need help in finding these:
-Minimum speed to keep rider on wall
-Maximum based on gmax (4 g )

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.GIF
    New Bitmap Image.GIF
    5.2 KB · Views: 793
I would never use south for vertically down, just confusing

Force Balance on Rider & Bike

Vertically
Down - Gravitational force
Up - Frictional force

Horizontally
Toward centre of cylinder - Normal force (perp to surface as you said)

For the rider to not accelerate up or down, the net force in the vertical dierction must balance to zero.

The maximum allowable frictional force F, for a given normal force N, is F = mu.N, where mu is the coefficient of friction. If the gravitataional force is greater than the max allowable frictional force the rider will slip down. Note the firctional force can be less than this, but mu.N is the upper limit for a given normal force.

From this information you should be able to find the minimum speed... ie when the speed is just enough, that the normal force provides sufficient frictional force to balance the gravitational force

the max allowable speed should come straight from the centripetal force for circular motion

here's the try...
A) V= Sqrt[(g*r)/mu)] (( equations found on this website with similar problem))
= sqrt[(9.81*10)/(1.00)]
= 9.91 m/s or 35.66 Km/h
Therefore, minimum of 35.6 km/h speed is required to stay on the wall.

B) Max based on Gmax (4 g)
4xg (9.81 ) = 39.24
Fc=250*39.24 = 9810 N

Gforce/Fc = (mv2)/r
V= sqrt[(Fc.r)/(m)]
= sqrt[(9810*10)/250)]
= 19.798 m/s or 71.24 km/h...will give the maximum of 4g.

One question arising now, why the mass does not matter to calculate the minimum speed as it does for max (based on gmax)

Thank you for help!

for the minimum speed you have
[tex]Frictional Force = F = \mu.N = \mu.\frac{m v^2}{r} = mg = Gravitational Force[/tex]
so the m's cancel out

I'm not totally sure what you have done in the 2nd case, I think the numbers are correct, but you may have just carried m in and canceled later without realising...

[tex]a_{max} = 4g = \frac{F_c}{m} = \frac{\frac{mv^2}{r}}{m} = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

FAQ: Wall of Death Problem: Finding Minimum and Maximum Speed for Rider Stability

1. What is the Wall of Death problem?

The Wall of Death problem is a physics problem that involves finding the minimum and maximum speeds at which a motorcycle rider can safely ride along the vertical wall of a circular cylinder without falling off. It is a classic example of circular motion and centripetal force.

2. How is the minimum and maximum speed calculated for the Wall of Death?

The minimum and maximum speed for the Wall of Death are calculated using the principles of circular motion and centripetal force. The minimum speed is determined by the rider's ability to overcome the force of gravity and stay on the wall, while the maximum speed is limited by the rider's ability to withstand the high centripetal force without losing control.

3. What factors affect the minimum and maximum speed for the Wall of Death?

The minimum and maximum speed for the Wall of Death are affected by several factors, including the radius of the cylinder, the weight and size of the motorcycle and rider, the friction between the tires and the wall, and the rider's skill and experience.

4. Can the Wall of Death problem be solved using a mathematical formula?

Yes, the Wall of Death problem can be solved using a mathematical formula that takes into account the relevant physical factors such as the radius, gravity, and centripetal force. However, the formula may vary depending on the specific scenario and assumptions made.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Wall of Death problem?

Yes, the Wall of Death problem has real-life applications in amusement parks and motorcycle stunt shows. It also serves as a practical example for understanding the principles of circular motion and centripetal force in physics.