Was My Approach to Solving the Physics Problem Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cannon exerting a force of 19000 N on a cannonball, aiming at a 37° angle from the ground. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 and the goal is to find the mass of the cannonball needed to achieve a speed of 79.3 m/s. The solution involved using a vector-valued function and a line integral, but the person asking the question was concerned about the complexity of their approach. The expert assures them that they got the correct answer, but advises them to keep the solution simple and efficient in the future.
agent_509

Homework Statement

You are in charge of a cannon that exerts a
force 19000 N on a cannon ball while the ball
is in the barrel of the cannon. The length of
the cannon barrel is 1.92 m and the cannon is
aimed at a 37° angle from the ground.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

If you want the ball to leave the cannon
with speed v0 = 79.3 m/s, what mass cannon
ball must you use?

Homework Equations

W=∫C F•dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have done the problem, the answer is 11.56kg. My question is if the way I solved this problem was ok. i got several points docked for the way I answered it.

I wanted to make sure I understood the concept well enough to apply it to more complex problems, such as ones where the path taken by an object was not a straight line and the force varied with position, so I made the path taken into a vector valued function r(t) where 0≤t≤1 (t is arbitrary since I'm calculating work right?) and then combined the force of gravity with the force exerted by the cannon into a force field existing along the path taken by the cannonball. I calculated dr from the vector-valued function, and solved the line integral. Of course the whole thing only turned out to be the force dotted into the path taken by the cannonball anyways, but I was just trying to make sure I understood the concept.

So my question is this: is there something wrong with the way I solved the problem?

Edit: I meant "work problem" not word problem, my apologies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got the right answer, that is good. Sounds like you made the problem more complicated then it needed to be. Time is money, keep it simple.

I'm aware of that. Like I said I just wanted to make sure I understood how I could solve more complicated versions of the problem. thanks.

Related to Was My Approach to Solving the Physics Problem Correct?

1. What are the steps to solving a word problem?

The steps to solving a word problem include: 1. Read and understand the problem2. Identify the given information and what is being asked3. Choose an appropriate operation or strategy4. Set up an equation or model to represent the problem5. Solve the equation or use the chosen strategy6. Check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original problem to see if it satisfies all of the given information and the question being asked. You can also use estimation or a different method to double check your answer.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a word problem?

If you get stuck, try reading the problem again and breaking it down into smaller parts. You can also try drawing a diagram or using a different strategy to approach the problem. If you are still having trouble, ask a classmate or teacher for help.

4. Is it important to show my work when solving word problems?

Yes, it is important to show your work when solving word problems. This not only allows you to keep track of your steps and thought process, but it also helps you identify any mistakes you may have made. Additionally, showing your work can earn you partial credit even if your final answer is incorrect.

5. How can I improve my word problem-solving skills?

To improve your word problem-solving skills, practice regularly and pay attention to the specific areas where you struggle. Make sure to read the problem carefully and identify all of the given information and what is being asked. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.