Wasted alternator generated energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential wasted energy in alternators in cars once the battery is fully charged. It is mentioned that the voltage regulator cuts off the alternator when the battery is charged, and that the engine does not "know" when the battery is fully charged. The conversation also discusses the function of the voltage regulator and the small amount of friction in an alternator. It is suggested that the wasted energy could potentially be harnessed and used.
Gerinski
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I'm not a regular of the site and I have not found anything in a first quick search, if so just direct me to the relevant threads.
Many millions of cars are driving every day with their alternators turning. Unless I'm wrong, once the battery is fully charged the alternator keeps turning but any electricity produced is simply wasted.
If this is correct, I can guess that considering all the internal combustion engine vehicles driving around each day in the whole world, the amount of wasted energy may be very significant.
Has there been any calculation of how much energy is being produced but wasted by this fact?
Is there any project by which that wasted energy could be harnessed and used?
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gerinski said:
Unless I'm wrong, once the battery is fully charged the alternator keeps turning but any electricity produced is simply wasted.

Do you really know what you are saying here? Do you understand electricity well enough to be able to say that?

Averagesupernova said:
Do you really know what you are saying here? Do you understand electricity well enough to be able to say that?
No I don't, I'm just a layman with limited technical education (I have the diploma of automotive mechanics/electrics, but I never worked on applied mechanics or electrics, my career took a different path).

I'll just put a finer point on it: an alternator with no electrical load on it creates no mechanical load on the engine. So if the battery is fully charged, the load on the car's engine drops. No wasted power.

Once the battery is charged, the car's voltage regulator temporarily cuts off the alternator until the battery needs charging again.

russ_watters said:
I'll just put a finer point on it: an alternator with no electrical load on it creates no mechanical load on the engine. So if the battery is fully charged, the load on the car's engine drops. No wasted power.
But the drive belt is still turning the alternator shaft around, doesn't it?
That's friction at the very least. How does the engine 'know' that the battery is already fully charged? doesn't it keep turning the alternator exactly the same as when the battery was half-charged?

That's also why the voltage regulator is in a car's charging circuit. That's how the car 'knows' when the battery needs charging by the alternator. If the regulator cuts off the exciter current to the alternator, then there is no magnetic field created and no electricity generated by the alternator while it is turning.

See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator

Scroll down to the section they have on automotive alternators.

Last edited:
Gerinski said:
But the drive belt is still turning the alternator shaft around, doesn't it?
That's friction at the very least.
Yes, but friction is a very small part of the loss in an alternator and in any case isn't recoverable so it doesn't relate to your question.
How does the engine 'know' that the battery is already fully charged?
Overcharge protection notwithstanding, it doesn't know anything. The alternator is simply harder to turn when it is charging the battery (or otherwise loaded) than when it isn't.
...doesn't it keep turning the alternator exactly the same as when the battery was half-charged?
Nope. The electrical load determines the torque.

Last edited:
Thanks, it's clear now.

Related to Wasted alternator generated energy

1. What is wasted alternator generated energy?

Wasted alternator generated energy refers to the energy produced by an alternator in a vehicle that is not being used to power the vehicle's electrical systems. This energy is typically lost as heat and is not being converted into useful work.

2. How does wasted alternator generated energy affect fuel efficiency?

Wasted alternator generated energy can have a negative impact on fuel efficiency as it requires the engine to work harder to produce the same amount of power. This can lead to increased fuel consumption and ultimately, decreased fuel efficiency.

3. Can wasted alternator generated energy be recovered?

Yes, there are technologies such as regenerative braking systems that can recover some of the wasted alternator generated energy and convert it into electricity to power the vehicle's electrical systems. However, not all of the wasted energy can be recovered.

4. What are some ways to reduce wasted alternator generated energy?

One way to reduce wasted alternator generated energy is to use more efficient alternators in vehicles. Additionally, turning off non-essential electrical components and avoiding excessive idling can also help reduce wasted energy.

5. Does wasted alternator generated energy have any environmental impacts?

Yes, the wasted energy from alternators contributes to greenhouse gas emissions, as the engine needs to work harder to produce the same amount of power, resulting in increased fuel consumption. This can contribute to climate change and air pollution.