Water activity meter reading over 1

In summary, the water activity meter uses changes in the reflectance of a mirror to measure water activity. The accuracy of the measurement is affected by a simple accuracy issue, but it is odd that the device software doesn't filter it. Dew point measurements can be made using this device.
fedaykin
Good evening. I recently was taught how to use our new water activity meter, and I noticed something strange.
This meter uses changes in the reflectance of a mirror.

Whenever we'd bring the sample up to temperature, the measurement would reach a low point, then at about 0.5° below our set temperature of 25°, the measurement would hit about 1.02 or 1.03. I'm curious if this is a quirk of the meter itself, or if there is a physical phenomenon underlying this. The underlying sample was a tomato paste with aw measured at about 0.99.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
When you say 'water activity' are you referring to the refractive index of water?

Nope, water activity is a measure of the saturation of the water vapor, used in food sciences: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_activity

Not that I knew it, had to google.

Which device are you using to get those measurements?
How accurate is the measurement in general?
Could be a simple accuracy issue, but it is odd that the device software doesn't filter it.

Borek said:
Nope, water activity is a measure of the saturation of the water vapor, used in food sciences: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_activity

Not that I knew it, had to google.

Well, that's pretty much the definition of activity in thermodynamics.

Sounds like a dew point measurement.

Last edited:
Likes Borek
Thank you for all the posts here.
I've decided the readings above one are probably from hysteresis, probably due to a difference in frequency of sampling temperature and mirror fogginess.
The makers of the device (it's an Aqualab 4) could assume that people would only use the result at a stable temperature.
Since the device has a target temperature, it simply waits for the measurement to stabilize to a certain accuracy within range.

Perhaps they display a preliminary value for convenience of the end user.

Related to Water activity meter reading over 1

What is a water activity meter?

A water activity meter is a scientific instrument used to measure the amount of free water molecules in a substance. It is commonly used in food science and other industries to determine the shelf life and safety of products.

Why is a water activity meter reading over 1 concerning?

A water activity meter reading over 1 indicates that there is too much free water present in a substance, which can lead to microbial growth and potential spoilage. It is important to keep water activity levels below 1 to ensure product safety and stability.

What factors affect water activity readings?

Water activity readings can be affected by temperature, humidity, and the composition of the substance being measured. For example, high sugar or salt content can lower water activity readings, while high protein or fat content can increase them.

How is water activity different from water content?

Water activity measures the amount of free water molecules in a substance, while water content measures the total amount of water present, including bound water. Water activity is a more accurate indicator of a substance's potential for microbial growth and spoilage.

What are the implications of a water activity meter reading over 1 for food safety?

A water activity meter reading over 1 indicates that a food product may be at risk for microbial growth, which can lead to foodborne illness. It is important for food manufacturers to regularly monitor and control water activity levels to ensure the safety and quality of their products.