Wave constructive and/or destructive interference question

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving two sources of water waves and the displacement of the water at a specific point. The correct answer is E.) -5 mm, as the displacement at that point would be 0 when the effects of the two wave sources are added together. The conversation also mentions the use of wave interference to calculate the displacement.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

https://portal.utoronto.ca/courses/1/Fall-2014-PHY100H5-F-LEC0101/ppg/quiz%2061016132114/f1q2g1.jpg

The figure shows two sets of water waves, created by two sources labeled "A" and "B." The solid half-circles represent wave crests from A, and the dashed half-circles represent wave crests from B. Suppose that individual wave crests from either source A or source B alone are 5 mm above the level of the undisturbed water. Then the displacement of the water [above or below the level of the undisturbed water] at the point marked "x" [with the arrow pointing toward it] is

A.) -10 mm.
B.) 0 mm.
C.) +5 mm.
D.) +10 mm.
E.) -5 mm.

Homework Equations

[/B]
N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it would be E.) -5mm because if we are just taking one wave set alone (either A or B) then there would be no interference from the other wave set and if the displacement from rest is 5mm then the opposite displacement must be equal in magnitude...? But I don't actually know...I'm just thinking it out...would you please correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see your figure. Could you check to see that it was attached properly?

Although I cannot see the picture, here is a hint. You can add the wave effects together. So, if x lies on a wave crest from A, (+5mm), and the midpoint between crests from B (-5mm), then the total displacement at x would be 0.

Hello,

Yes, unfortunately there was no way to upload the image but thank you for your help...it actually helped me get the answer! :)

Your reasoning is correct! When two waves interfere, they can either constructively or destructively interfere. Constructive interference occurs when the wave crests from two sources align and add together, resulting in a larger displacement. Destructive interference occurs when the wave crests from two sources are out of phase and cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller displacement. In this case, the two wave sets are out of phase, leading to destructive interference at point "x". Therefore, the displacement would be in the opposite direction and have the same magnitude, resulting in a displacement of -5 mm.

Related to Wave constructive and/or destructive interference question

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two waves meet and interact with each other. This can result in either constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

2. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference is when two waves meet and their amplitudes are added together, resulting in a larger amplitude. This occurs when the waves are in phase, meaning their crests and troughs align with each other.

3. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is when two waves meet and their amplitudes are subtracted from each other, resulting in a smaller amplitude or cancellation of the waves. This occurs when the waves are out of phase, meaning their crests and troughs do not align with each other.

4. How does the interference pattern change with different wavelengths?

The interference pattern is affected by the wavelength of the waves. When the wavelengths are similar, the interference pattern will have more distinct regions of constructive and destructive interference. When the wavelengths are different, the interference pattern may be more complex and have smaller regions of interference.

5. Can interference occur with other types of waves besides sound and light?

Yes, interference can occur with all types of waves, including water waves, seismic waves, and even quantum waves. The principles of constructive and destructive interference still apply, although the specific effects may vary depending on the properties of the waves.