Wave interference on beachfront

In summary, while walking along the shore, the person observes two narrow gaps in the breakwater, which are 9.0 m apart. The breakwater is 12.0 m from the shore and parallel to it. Standing at a point directly opposite the midpoint between the gaps, the person notices that the first point where no waves reach them is 1.7 m from their starting point. Out beyond the breakwater, the person observes ten wave crests in 18 s. The distance between the wave crests is not accurately given by the path length difference equation because the person's distance from the gaps is small. To solve this problem, the person can find the path difference by calculating the path lengths using geometry and similar triangles
CINA

Homework Statement

While walking along the shore at your beachfront home, you notice that there are two narrow gaps in the breakwater, the wall that protects the shore from the waves. These gaps are 9.0 m apart and the breakwater is 12.0 m from the shore and parallel to it. You go to the shore directly opposite the mmidpoint between the gaps. As you walk along the shore, the first point where no waves reach you is 1.7 m from your starting point. Out beyond the breakwater you observe that there are ten wave crests in 18 s. How far apart are the wave crests? (Note: The distance of the person from the gaps is not large compared to the separation of the gaps, so the path length difference is not accurately give by [tex]\Delta l=dsin\theta[/tex])

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta l=dsin\theta[/tex] (disregarded)
[tex]tan\theta= y/L[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this by directly finding the path lengths r1 and r2 using geometry and similar triangles, but I don't think this would work since the subtraction would rely on them being parallel. I did:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2263/wavesl.jpg

Found r1 using pyth. Theorem, found r2 using similar triangles and pyth. theorem. Subtracted the values and plugged the result into the phase difference equation. The phase difference is pi/2 since the spot on the shore is destructive interference.

Like I said I don't think this is correct, what should should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You cab write r2 as
sqrt[12^2 +(4.5 - 1.7)^2]
Now find the path difference.

FAQ: Wave interference on beachfront

1. What is wave interference on beachfront?

Wave interference on beachfront is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet at the same location and interact with each other. This can result in an increase or decrease in the amplitude or height of the waves.

2. How does wave interference affect the beach and shoreline?

Wave interference can impact the beach and shoreline in various ways. When waves interfere and cancel each other out, it can cause erosion of the beach and shoreline. On the other hand, when waves reinforce each other, it can lead to the formation of sandbars and changes in the shape of the shoreline.

3. What causes wave interference on beachfront?

Wave interference is caused by the interaction of different wave systems. This can occur when waves from different sources, such as wind and swell, meet at the same location. The shape and orientation of the coastline also play a role in wave interference.

4. Can wave interference be predicted?

Yes, wave interference can be predicted to some extent. Scientists use mathematical models and data from buoys and other sensors to forecast how waves will interact and behave on a beachfront. However, wave interference can also be influenced by unpredictable factors such as storms and tides.

5. How does wave interference impact marine life?

Wave interference can have both positive and negative effects on marine life. On one hand, it can create diverse habitats for different species and promote biodiversity. On the other hand, it can also cause damage to coral reefs and disrupt the feeding and breeding patterns of marine animals.

Back