Wave Interference - Phase Difference

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum distance y for destructive interference in a wave interference scenario. By tweaking the given equations and subtracting them, the minimum distance is determined to be y = λ/4 = 0.8375 m.
planauts

Homework Statement

I have another Wave Interference problem that I am having trouble with.

[PLAIN]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6104/questionsv.png

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3535/hintg.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

f = 90.0 MHz
λ = (3E8)/(90E6) = 3.33 m

Let x, y, r represent the following
[PLAIN]http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/5836/questionso.png

Eq. 1
(x) - (r-x) = λ

Eq. 2
(x+y)-(r-(x+y)) = 0.5λ
2x + 2y - r = 0.5λ

Somehow I have to find the distance y. I am not exactly sure how I would go about solving this because I have 2 sets of equations (one with 2 variables and other with 3 variables).

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
planauts said:
Somehow I have to find the distance y. I am not exactly sure how I would go about solving this because I have 2 sets of equations (one with 2 variables and other with 3 variables).

Okay, let's try and tweak your equations slightly (while trying to keep your variables the same):

Eq. 1
(x) - (r-x) = nλ
2x - r = nλ

The original path difference is any integer multiple of λ (doesn't matter what n is) for constructive interference.

Eq. 2
(x+y)-(r-(x+y)) = (m + 0.5)λ
2x + 2y - r = (m + 0.5)λ

The path difference at the new position is some (possibly different) integer multiple mλ plus the half wavelength for destructive interference.

Now subtract Eq. 1 from Eq. 2 to eliminate 2x - r:

2y = (m-n + 0.5)λ

The problem asks for the minimum y, which just happens when m = n, and you can do the rest...

Sorry for the VERY late reply.
I got y = λ/4 = 0.8375 m

And that matches with my textbook's answer key.
Thank you so much for your help.

So basically what I should have done is subtracted the second equation from the first. That would have allowed me to eliminate the nasty R and X. Thanks again!

Related to Wave Interference - Phase Difference

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves intersect or overlap with each other. This results in the combination of the individual waves, creating a new wave with a different amplitude, frequency, or direction.

2. What is phase difference?

Phase difference is the measure of how much two waves are offset from each other in terms of their peaks and troughs. It is typically measured in degrees or radians and can determine whether the waves will constructively or destructively interfere with each other.

3. How does phase difference affect wave interference?

The phase difference between two waves determines whether they will interfere constructively or destructively. If the waves have the same phase, they will constructively interfere and create a larger amplitude. If the waves have opposite phases, they will destructively interfere and cancel each other out.

4. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same or similar amplitudes and phases intersect and combine to create a larger amplitude. This is also known as reinforcement, as the waves reinforce each other and create a stronger wave.

5. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves with opposite phases intersect and combine to cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude or no wave at all. This is also known as interference, as the waves interfere with each other and weaken the resulting wave.

Back