Wave mechanics : operator problem

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. :redface:An eigenvector cannot be zero.d) says that if Aφ = aφ, and if Bφ ≠ 0, then A(Bφ) is a scalar multiple of Bφ …prove it using c).Okay I'll try. A\varphi=a\varphiA(B\varphi)=a(B\varphi)=a*B\varphiA(B\varphi)=[2B,B^{\dagger}]\varphiB\varphi is not zero, so A(B\varphi) is a scalar multiple of B\varphiam I correct? I don't think that's
noblegas

Homework Statement

Two operators , A and B , satisfy the equations

[tex] A=B^{\dagger}B+3 and A= BB^{\dagger}+1[/tex]

a)Show that A is self adjoint
b)Find the commutator of [tex][B^{\dagger},B][/tex]
c) Find the commutator of [tex][B,B^{\dagger}][/tex]
d) Suppose [tex]\varphi[/tex] is an eigenfunction of A with eigenvalue a:

A[tex]\varphi[/tex]=a[tex]\varphi[/tex]

show that if B[tex]\varphi[/tex] =/ 0 then B[tex]\varphi[/tex] is an eigenfunction of A , and find the eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only worked on the first part of the problem. I will address the remaining 3 parts later.

[tex](A)^{\dagger}=(B^{\dagger}B+3)^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}(B^{\dagger})^{\dagger}+(3)^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}B+(3)^{\dagger}[/tex]. 3 is not an operator so I don't think you can take the adjoint of it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
noblegas said:
[tex] A=B^{\dagger}B+3\text{ and }A= BB^{\dagger}+1[/tex]

[tex](A)^{\dagger}=(B^{\dagger}B+3)^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}(B^{\dagger})^{\dagger}+(3)^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}B+(3)^{\dagger}[/tex]. 3 is not an operator so I don't think you can take the adjoint of it.

Hi noblegas! :smile:

(LaTeX doesn't take any notice of spaces unless you put them inside \text{} :wink:)

I assume they mean 3 times the identity, I.

tiny-tim said:

(LaTeX doesn't take any notice of spaces unless you put them inside \text{} :wink:)

I assume they mean 3 times the identity, I.

okak then [tex]B^{\dagger}B+(3I)^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}B+3*I^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}B+3*I=[/tex]

Therefore [tex]A^{\dagger}=A[/tex]? Now proceeding to the next two parts of the problem;

b) [tex][B,B^{\dagger}]=BB^{\dagger}-B^{\dagger}B[/tex]

[tex] BB^{\dagger}=A-1, B^{\dagger}B=A-3[/tex], therefore

[tex][B,B^{\dagger}]=BB^{\dagger}-B^{\dagger}B=A-1-(A-3)=A-1*I-(A-3*I)=2I[/tex]

c)[tex][A,B]=AB-BA=(BB^{\dagger}+1)B-B(BB^{\dagger}+1)=BB^{\dagger}B+B-BBB^{\dagger}-B=BB^{\dagger}B-BBB^{\dagger}=B(BB^{\dagger}-BB^{\dagger})=B(2I)=2BI[/tex]

You seem to have changed the questions :rolleyes:

but it looks ok :smile:

tiny-tim said:
You seem to have changed the questions :rolleyes:

but it looks ok :smile:

what do you mean? I was writing out my solutions for part b and c of my question; how should I start part d of the problem? Should I start by assuming that [tex]A
* \varphi=a*\varphi=>A*\varphi-a*\varphi=0
[/tex]? See my OP

Last edited:

(have a phi: φ and a dagger: † :wink:)
noblegas said:
what do you mean?
I meant …
noblegas said:
b)Find the commutator of [tex][B^{\dagger},B][/tex]
c) Find the commutator of [tex][B,B^{\dagger}][/tex]
noblegas said:
b) [tex][B,B^{\dagger}]=\cdots[/tex]

c)[tex][A,B]=\cdots[/tex]

For d), remember that when the examiner sets you a series of questions, the last one usually comes very easily from the preceding ones …

in this case, just use c) :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(have a phi: φ and a dagger: † :wink:)

I meant …

For d), remember that when the examiner sets you a series of questions, the last one usually comes very easily from the preceding ones …

in this case, just use c) :smile:

oh I see then . [tex][B^{\dagger},B]=-2*I, and [A,B]=-2BI[/tex] correct?

did you not understand my latest solution

Yes, that looks ok (except that you needn't write -2BI, you can just write it as -2B). :smile:

stuck on part d again: AB-BA=-2BI, ARe they saying [tex]B\varphi[/tex]=> 2BI [tex]\neq[/tex] 0

Last edited:
noblegas said:
stuck on part d again: AB-BA=-2BI, ARe they saying [tex]B\varphi[/tex]=> 2BI [tex]\neq[/tex] 0

(what happened to that φ i gave you? :confused:)

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. :redface:

An eigenvector cannot be zero.

d) says that if Aφ = aφ, and if Bφ ≠ 0, then A(Bφ) is a scalar multiple of Bφ …

prove it using c).​

Related to Wave mechanics : operator problem

1. What is wave mechanics?

Wave mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and uses complex mathematical equations to predict the probability of a particle's location and behavior.

2. What is the operator problem in wave mechanics?

The operator problem in wave mechanics refers to the challenge of finding mathematical operators that can accurately describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. These operators must take into account both the wave-like and particle-like properties of matter, and can be complex and challenging to determine.

3. How is the operator problem solved in wave mechanics?

The operator problem is solved through the use of Schrödinger's equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. This equation uses mathematical operators, such as the Hamiltonian operator, to calculate the energy and behavior of particles in a system. The solutions to this equation can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of particles.

4. What are some applications of wave mechanics?

Wave mechanics has many practical applications, including in fields such as quantum computing, materials science, and particle physics. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as transistors and lasers, and in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as chemical reactions and biological processes.

5. Are there any limitations to wave mechanics?

While wave mechanics has been incredibly successful in describing the behavior of particles at the quantum level, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot fully explain the behavior of particles at extremely high energies or in extreme conditions, such as near black holes. Additionally, the interpretation of results from wave mechanics can be complex and controversial, leading to ongoing debates in the scientific community.