Wave of phase change (MOVIE: Hot ice how-to)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solidification and crystallization, specifically in regards to sodium acetate crystals from a supersaturated solution. While there may be some regularity in the solid front, it is not considered a wave but rather a moving interface or boundary. This process is not instantaneous, as atoms must diffuse and attach to the solid structure. The concept of waves of phase state change is also mentioned, but it is not considered a wave in the traditional sense and is more accurately described as a domino effect or moving interface.
giann_tee
Hot ice solidifies instantaneously when its cold...
http://www.youtube.com/v/aC-KOYQsIvU

Are there really any oscillations or waves of different states (alternating states) in materials? Perhaps gradient of heat or a bump of pressure spreading? Sound? Electricity?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like we're seeing the relatively fast (but not instantaneous) solidification of sodium acetate crystals from a supersaturated solution.

giann_tee said:
Are there really any oscillations or waves of different states (alternating states) in materials? Perhaps gradient of heat or a bump of pressure spreading? Sound? Electricity?

Could you explain what you mean here? Crystallization is just the process of random atoms/molecules attaching to a structure with long-range order. The solid front advances as the atoms attach. The process takes some finite amount of time because the atoms must diffuse to the solid and wait to attach at the right location.

Mapes said:
It looks like we're seeing the relatively fast (but not instantaneous) solidification of sodium acetate crystals from a supersaturated solution. ...Crystallization is just the process of random atoms/molecules attaching to a structure with long-range order. The solid front advances as the atoms attach. The process takes some finite amount of time because the atoms must diffuse to the solid and wait to attach at the right location.

I agree. It looks like ice in transparent tank with regular, milky rays spreading from the "point of impact". The front is not very regular, because it looks like a cloud, but possesses some straight edges. Then I can say that in nature waves of phase state change exist in let's say, non-equilibrium systems? or in critical state between phases? Maybe this is a mirage of demagnetizing steel magnet with a blow of hammer?

I am writing a work on Potts model of spin and flows. If some wave can travel across a lattice and change phase (something like that), then my writing is endangered. I don't know anything. :-)

I wouldn't call it a wave unless you're speaking colloquially; waves have certain physical properties that these features don't, and scientists would be (justifiably) aggravated.

Technically, it's a moving interface or boundary.

Mapes said:
I wouldn't call it a wave unless you're speaking colloquially; waves have certain physical properties that these features don't, and scientists would be (rightly) aggravated.
Technically, it's a moving interface or boundary.

Interesting point; perhaps a domino effect?

Sure; it's easier for an atom to attach to an existing solid phase than for a bunch of atoms to nucleate a new solid region. Supersaturation, by definition, means that nucleation isn't occurring for one reason or another.

Related to Wave of phase change (MOVIE: Hot ice how-to)

1. What is a wave of phase change?

A wave of phase change is a phenomenon that occurs when a substance changes from one phase to another, such as from a solid to a liquid or a liquid to a gas. This change is usually caused by a change in temperature or pressure.

2. How does the "Hot ice how-to" movie demonstrate a wave of phase change?

The "Hot ice how-to" movie demonstrates a wave of phase change by showing the process of creating a supersaturated solution of sodium acetate. When the solution is disturbed, the molecules rearrange and solidify, releasing heat in the process, creating a chain reaction that quickly turns the entire solution into a solid.

3. What is the scientific explanation behind the "Hot ice" reaction?

The "Hot ice" reaction is a result of a supersaturated solution of sodium acetate. When the solution is disturbed, the molecules rearrange and solidify, releasing heat in the process. This causes the remaining solution to become even more supersaturated, leading to a chain reaction that quickly turns the entire solution into a solid.

4. Can the "Hot ice" reaction be reversed?

Yes, the "Hot ice" reaction can be reversed by heating the solidified solution. This will melt the solid and return it to its liquid state.

5. Are there any practical applications for the "Hot ice" reaction?

Yes, the "Hot ice" reaction has several practical applications. It is commonly used in hand warmers, as the heat released during the reaction can provide warmth for an extended period of time. It is also used in some medical applications, such as in heating pads or to help treat certain types of injuries.

Back