Wave optics YOUNG'S DOUBLE SLIT EXPERIMENT

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in solving problems related to Young's double slit experiment, specifically when the source is executing simple harmonic motion. The person is also seeking advice on the best methodology for solving these types of problems and a recommendation for a book on wave optics. Suggestions are made to look at a physics textbook that covers wave interference and a link is provided for further information on the experiment.
harini_5
Hi,
I'm encountering problems in my tests about young's double slit experiment and in many of those I'm finding the source executing simple harmonic motion (whose equation is given )
and we are asked to calculate the equation of motion of central bright fringe,max no. of fringes that can be formed etc
what methodology should be adopted to solve such problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you submit a problem, we will try to find the method of solving it.

Hi,
I'm encountering problems in my tests about young's double slit experiment and in many of those I'm finding the source executing simple harmonic motion (whose equation is given )
and we are asked to calculate the equation of motion of central bright fringe,max no. of fringes that can be formed etc
what methodology should be adopted to solve such problems?
also suggest me which is the best book for wave optics
I'm in precollege level preparing for IITJEE one of the toughest entrance exams of precollege level

Any physics text at the advanced high school or college freshman level that covers wave interference should go over this. It essentially involves subtracting two path lengths from each other, and comparing the path difference to the wavelength.

As rl.bhat said, looking at a specific example would be the best way to learn this. Do you have a physics textbook that covers this material? It could be in anyone of various sections, such as those covering either waves, sound, or optics.

Related to Wave optics YOUNG'S DOUBLE SLIT EXPERIMENT

1. What is Young's double slit experiment?

The Young's double slit experiment is a famous experiment in wave optics that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does Young's double slit experiment demonstrate the wave nature of light?

The interference pattern observed in Young's double slit experiment is a result of the light waves from the two slits interfering with each other. This can only happen if light behaves as a wave, since particles would not interfere in this way.

3. What is the significance of the distance between the two slits in Young's double slit experiment?

The distance between the two slits, known as the slit spacing, is a crucial factor in determining the interference pattern observed in the experiment. It affects the phase difference between the two interfering waves and can be used to calculate the wavelength of the light being used.

4. Can Young's double slit experiment be performed with any type of light?

Yes, Young's double slit experiment can be performed with any type of light, as long as it is coherent. This means that the light waves are in phase with each other and maintain a constant phase relationship over time. Laser light is commonly used in this experiment.

5. How does the interference pattern change if the distance between the screen and the slits is increased or decreased?

If the distance between the screen and the slits is increased, the interference fringes will become more spread out, resulting in a wider interference pattern. If the distance is decreased, the fringes will become closer together, resulting in a narrower interference pattern. The distance between the slits and the screen affects the angle at which light from each slit reaches the screen, thus affecting the interference pattern.