Wave-Particle Duality Theory: Explaining Electron Properties

In summary, there is a need for a theory that explains both the particle and wave properties of the electron, as neither Neils Bohr's planetary model nor quantum mechanics can fully account for both. J.S. Bell's suggestion of a "natural and simple" theory that resolves the wave-particle dilemma has been largely ignored. However, quantum mechanics is able to explain the stability of atoms, including the hydrogen atom, through its energy eigenvalues and the rules of quantum mechanics. The Bohr model, while groundbreaking at the time, has many shortcomings and cannot explain the spectrum of multi-electron atoms like helium. Therefore, quantum mechanics is a more accurate and comprehensive theory for describing the behavior of electrons.
Careful said:
How, how, what I said is that this treatment is incorrect, it originates from the misunderstanding that all classical radiation in the universe is thermal and that no classical motion at T=0 exists (+ a bunch of other mistakes).

Yes, of course, in the idealized situation of JUST one single proton, one single electron, and a classical, empty EM field.

The problem is that we do not have anything else but a perturbative treatment of the full EM field (which is QFT). **

Na, na, Barut self field is entirely well defined non-perturbatively and is shown to agree (on these issues) up to fifth order in e^2.

Yes, but that's not QFT. It is *another* theory. You cannot use Barut self field theory to prove the hydrogen atom stability in QUANTUM theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but that's not QFT. It is *another* theory. You cannot use Barut self field theory to prove the hydrogen atom stability in QUANTUM theory.**

It is not QFT, but it is first quantized Dirac-Maxwell theory, hence you can use it to prove hydrogen stability in quantum theory (and it is used like that, you still start from the usual Coulomb wavefunctions ... ).

Yes many of the principles of physics I accept without proof, but I have a special interest in the basic h-atom and the other atoms of the Periodic Table. My approach to the formation and structure of these atoms is somewhat different than most. The Electronic Configuration Pattern can be found in Pascal's Triangle ( see Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 73, Page 742-743, August 1996) where I reveal two quantum numbers and make the sugguestion that this find may help in understanding of quantum theory. The article shows that Fibonacci Numbers are related to the Electronic Configuration Pattern. This pattern shows up in the macroscopic world in plants and animals, a direct connection between the microscopic level to the macroscopic level. In knowing this I was looking for other theories to explore the possibility of bridging the gap between classical physics and quantum mechanics.

rlduncan said:
Yes many of the principles of physics I accept without proof, but I have a special interest in the basic h-atom and the other atoms of the Periodic Table. My approach to the formation and structure of these atoms is somewhat different than most. The Electronic Configuration Pattern can be found in Pascal's Triangle ( see Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 73, Page 742-743, August 1996) where I reveal two quantum numbers and make the sugguestion that this find may help in understanding of quantum theory. The article shows that Fibonacci Numbers are related to the Electronic Configuration Pattern. This pattern shows up in the macroscopic world in plants and animals, a direct connection between the microscopic level to the macroscopic level. In knowing this I was looking for other theories to explore the possibility of bridging the gap between classical physics and quantum mechanics.

Then you are trying to formulate your own personal theory. Please do this in the IR forum, not here.

Zz.

I note a thread dating back to 2003 on that. Geometry. Interesting. While looking I bumped into this:

Erwin Schroedinger understood the requirements of particle structure when he wrote in 1937: "What we observe as material bodies and forces are nothing but shapes and variations in the structure of space. Particles are just schaumkommen. (appearances)". He believed that quantum waves were real, not probability distributions with a hidden particle wondering inside. He saw that abolishing the discrete point particle would remove the paradoxes of 'wave-particle duality' and the 'collapse of the wave function'.

Anybody: Is this true?

I note he proposed his cat in 1935.

Farsight said:
I note a thread dating back to 2003 on that. Geometry. Interesting. While looking I bumped into this:

Erwin Schroedinger understood the requirements of particle structure when he wrote in 1937: "What we observe as material bodies and forces are nothing but shapes and variations in the structure of space. Particles are just schaumkommen. (appearances)". He believed that quantum waves were real, not probability distributions with a hidden particle wondering inside. He saw that abolishing the discrete point particle would remove the paradoxes of 'wave-particle duality' and the 'collapse of the wave function'.

Anybody: Is this true?

I note he proposed his cat in 1935.
The reason for him to say so was of course the incompatibility of the probabilistic interpretation of QM with the principles of SR and GR. Moreover, one can get particle *and* wave like behaviour out of a SINGLE equation by considering for example the coupled Dirac - Maxwell system (I have given the Barut reference before).

Careful

Thanks Careful. I'll have a browse.

Here is a sample of Barut's work,

http://streaming.ictp.trieste.it/preprints/P/93/105.pdf

It's a calculation of vacuum polarization using his method of plugging the electron "self-field" into the Dirac equation as an alternative to quantisation and QED. No UV or IR infinities but the non-linear equations he gets are no trivial to solve. That's no reason to reject his ideas of course, but this standard calculation is a needed demonstration that he can do the work od producing the numbers.

It is tragic that he died young (68) when just hitting his stride with this.

I bumped into the "Afshar experiment" while looking for something else, and the Waving Copenhagen Goodbye caught my eye. Does anybody have current knowledge or an expert view on it?

Farsight said:
I bumped into the "Afshar experiment" while looking for something else, and the Waving Copenhagen Goodbye caught my eye. Does anybody have current knowledge or an expert view on it?
Zz and other views are current enough and covered petty well in the old thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=62460&highlight=Afshar"

Search on afshar under Quantum Forum and you will find a few more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duh. Thanks Randall.

Thank you Farsight. Afshar experiment is the kind of articles I was looking for. Thanks again.

The concept of wave-particle duality exists even in classical mechanics, look at Hamilton-Jacobi theory (see Goldstein, "Classical Mechanics"). Louis de Broglie exploited this fact to conceive of matter waves, which were already conceived of by Hamilton. However, particle and wave are simply classical conceptions in our imagination taken from nature, that when you talk about the quantum "realm," do not suffice. For particles, we think of a little point or grain of sand, or billiard ball. For waves, we think of an ocean wave or string vibration. But these are merely classical concepts that shouldn't be taken literally in the context of quantum mechanics. An electron or photon is simply a quantum, something we can't visualize, and can't expect to visualize given that we live life in the macroscopic world which already consists of countless quanta, and the very objects, particles and waves, in the macroscopic world that we can visualize are of course made up of quanta. It is meaningless to worry about particle and wave in quantum theory, though in some contexts they may serve as useful tools or approximations. But think about this: the wavefunction in quantum mechanics is a distribution function and does not correspond to an actual wave propagating in space. Unfortunately, when quantum theory was first being developed, physicists at the time were used to thinking in classical terms, and much of the terminology from this has persisted in quantum theory today, which can make it confusing.
See the book "Quantum Mechanics" by Ballentine. I highly recommend this book. By letting go of classical and ultimately superficial notions as wave and particle, quantum mechanics is simple, elegant, and fun.