Wave passing medium containing discontinuities?

In summary, when light passes from medium 1 with index of refraction n1 to medium 2 with index n2, the fraction of power reflected (= not transmitted) at the boundary is Fraction of power reflected = (n2-n1)2/(n2+n1)2
timlee
When a wave is passing medium containing discontinuities, I learned from Wiki, scattering means changing the direction from a straight trajectory, so does it include refraction, transmission and reflection?

Does transmission means the part of wave that has passed the interface, and therefore include refraction and scattering, not reflection? Or transmission mean the part of wave still in the straight trajectory?

What would possibly happen when a wave hits the interface of discontinuities? Reflection, refraction, absorption? anything else not mentioned?

In the cases of Reflection, refraction, scattering and transmission, will the atom hit by the light absort the light and/or remit a new light?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm kind of interested too.

I imagined two scenarios, a water wave in a finite glass bowl. We all know what happens there, and the other scenario is a wave traveling through air and then hitting a a vacuum border. I'm not quite sure what will happen in the second, but I think it may be similar to the first, or it may just eliminate the wave completely.

When light passes from medium 1 with index of refraction n1 to medium 2 with index n2, the fraction of power reflected (= not transmitted) at the boundary is

Fraction of power reflected = (n2-n1)2/(n2+n1)2

For example, light entering glass (n=1.5) from air (n=1) loses fraction 0.04 of power per interface, 0.08 per single pane window. This does not include any interference of reflected waves.

Bob S

Thanks! In my original post, I actually wanted to ask the difference of those concepts, especially scattering and transmission with other concepts. So if anyone can help me to clarify these concepts, I would really appreciate it.

timlee said:
When a wave is passing medium containing discontinuities, I learned from Wiki, scattering means changing the direction from a straight trajectory, so does it include refraction, transmission and reflection?

No, scattering does not include refracted (transmitted) or reflected waves.

timlee said:
Does transmission means the part of wave that has passed the interface, and therefore include refraction and scattering, not reflection? Or transmission mean the part of wave still in the straight trajectory?

In this scenario, the waves are generally broken up into 3 components. The incident wave, transmitted (or refracted wave) and the reflected wave.

timlee said:
What would possibly happen when a wave hits the interface of discontinuities? Reflection, refraction, absorption? anything else not mentioned?

It depends on the boundary conditions. If you mean EM waves, then you get reflected and transmitted waves (except in very specific cases). Scattering too can originate from boundaries. Absorption however is usually regarded as happening within a volume and not at a boundary.

timlee said:
In the cases of Reflection, refraction, scattering and transmission, will the atom hit by the light absort the light and/or remit a new light?

Thanks!

With regard to transmission and reflection, atoms do not absorb and re-emit EM waves in the sense that the electron is promoted to a new orbital and then relaxes back into the ground state. Refraction etc. is actually a result of atoms polarising in response to the applied EM field, without the wave being absorbed.

The question of whether you get the "same" wave is irrelevant in the sense that you can successfully describe nature using either the single-wave or many-wave viewpoint.

Claude.

Last edited:
Thanks, Claude.
Does transmission include scattering and refraction?

A good example of classical light scattering is Rayleigh scattering of sunlight. Individual molecules of air preferentially absorb blue light of a particular incident light polarization, and re-emit it in a classic electric dipole radiation pattern. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering
This is why blue skylight (from a clear-blue sky) viewed at 90 degrees to the Sun is almost completely polarized.
Bob S

FAQ: Wave passing medium containing discontinuities?

1. What is a wave passing medium containing discontinuities?

A wave passing medium containing discontinuities refers to a medium, such as air or water, in which a wave is travelling and encounters a change in its physical properties or characteristics. These changes can cause the wave to reflect, refract, or diffract, resulting in a change in its direction and intensity.

2. What types of discontinuities can be found in a wave passing medium?

There are several types of discontinuities that can be found in a wave passing medium, such as changes in density, temperature, pressure, or composition. These changes can occur abruptly, as in the case of a sudden change in temperature, or gradually, as in the case of a gradual change in density.

3. How do discontinuities affect the behavior of waves in a medium?

Discontinuities can significantly alter the behavior of waves in a medium. They can cause waves to reflect, refract, or diffract, resulting in changes in their amplitude, frequency, and direction. Discontinuities can also create interference patterns, where waves overlap and either amplify or cancel each other out.

4. Can waves pass through all types of discontinuities?

No, waves cannot pass through all types of discontinuities. For example, when a wave encounters a boundary between two mediums with different densities, it can reflect or refract, but it cannot pass through the boundary. Waves can only pass through certain types of discontinuities, such as gradual changes in density or temperature.

5. How do scientists study wave passing mediums containing discontinuities?

Scientists study wave passing mediums containing discontinuities using various methods, such as mathematical models, laboratory experiments, and field observations. They also use specialized instruments, such as seismographs and sonar, to measure and analyze the behavior of waves in different mediums. Additionally, computer simulations are often used to study and predict the behavior of waves in complex mediums with multiple discontinuities.