Wave Speed: Calculating with 2.2 m & 31 s

In summary, a group of swimmers resting on a raft on a lake estimated that the wavelength of surface waves was 4.4 meters based on a distance of 2.2 meters between a trough and adjacent crest. They counted 18 crests passing by the raft in 31 seconds and wanted to know the speed of the waves. By calculating the frequency of the waves and multiplying it by the wavelength, the speed of the waves passing the raft was determined. However, one of the participants was experiencing technical issues and caused some concern among the group.
tdk

Homework Statement

A group of swimmers is resting in the sun on an off shore raft. They estimate that 2.2 m separates a trough from an adjacent crest of surface waves on a lake. They count 18 crests that pass by the raft in 31s. How fast are the waves moving?

Homework Equations

F= 1/t v=wavelength x frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

2.2(2)=4.4= wavelength

4.4 x 31? or 4.4 x 18? or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think pugfug was being alarmist about the link. Welcome back. Sorry about the panic. Anyway we now want frequency, the number of wavelengths per second. How many wavelengths in 31 secs?

Last edited:
You need to calculate how many crests pass per second, then multiply by wavelength. This gives distance/time which is a velocity.

2.2(2)=4.4= wavelength
Correct. The wavelength is twice the peak-to-trough distance.

Now speed is length/time, so find the total length of the waves passing the raft in t=31s.

Ok so would I do 4.4 x 31? Or do I have to incorporate the 18 in there somewhere?

Sorry guys I know I am like kinda slow at this, I just suck really bad at physics and math in general really

tdk, I've been trying to get your attention privately, but am going to have to interrupt here publicly. I can't keep deleting that link for you. Your computer must be infected with a virus and I really don't want someone else inadvertently being infected with it through our site. Please run a virus/adware/spyware scan ASAP and clean up your computer.

Folks, do NOT click on that link no matter how tempted. It apparently contains a virus.

Related to Wave Speed: Calculating with 2.2 m & 31 s

What is wave speed?

Wave speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium, such as air, water, or a solid material.

How is wave speed calculated?

Wave speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the wave by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula is: wave speed = distance / time.

What is the unit of measurement for wave speed?

The unit of measurement for wave speed is meters per second (m/s).

Can wave speed be negative?

No, wave speed cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the speed at which the wave travels.

How does changing the medium affect wave speed?

The medium through which a wave travels can affect its speed. Generally, waves travel faster in denser mediums, such as water or solid materials, compared to less dense mediums, like air.