Wavefunction of infinite square well potential between -L<x<L

There's no tunneling. If you have a finite barrier, there is some probability of tunneling, and the calculation is more interesting. With a well, the wave function has to go to zero at the edges because the particle can't exist outside the well. It's a more interesting problem, but you still have a case that's infinite in one direction, so you end up with a continuous spectrum. If you have a finite well (of non-zero width), you get a discrete spectrum and some interesting tunneling behavior. The finite well is the standard textbook problem. The infinite well is the same, but it's harder to calculate because you have to normalize the wave function over an infinite interval. So that
phosgene

Homework Statement

Solve for the wavefunctions and energy levels of an infinite square well potential extending between -L<x<L.

Hint: It may be worth noting that for a potential symmetric in x, then the observed probability density must also be symmetric in x, i. |ψ(x)|2 = |ψ(-x)|2.

Homework Equations

[itex]E=\frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m}[/itex]

Time independant Schroedinger equation:

[itex][-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{∂^2}{∂x^2} + U(x)]ψ(x) = Eψ(x)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For areas outside of the square with infinite potential, the potential is zero, so

[itex]\frac{∂^2}{∂x^2}ψ(x)=-k^2ψ(x)[/itex]

I take it that I only need to find the wavefunction for L<x<∞, as the symmetry means that the wavefunction for -∞<x<-L is going to be the same.

The solutions to the above differential equation are

[itex]ψ(x) = Asin(kx)+ Bcos(kx)[/itex]

But from here I am stuck. I have the conditions that

[itex]ψ(L)=0[/itex] and [itex]lim_{x → ∞} ψ(x) = 0[/itex], otherwise there is an infinite area under the curve for the probability amplitude.

But my solution for ψ(x) can't satisfy both of these without both A and B being zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
phosgene said:
But from here I am stuck. I have the conditions that

[itex]ψ(L)=0[/itex] and [itex]lim_{x → ∞} ψ(x) = 0[/itex], otherwise there is an infinite area under the curve for the probability amplitude.

But my solution for ψ(x) can't satisfy both of these without both A and B being zero.

Certain potentials will not sufficiently constrain a particle to have either a discrete energy spectrum or a normalizable wavefunction. If the potential vanishes everywhere, so we have a free-particle, the energy spectrum is continuous and the wavefunctions are nonnormalizable plane waves.

In this case, you refer to the potential as an infinite square well, but you seem to describe it as an infinite barrier. The well is usually ##V=0## on some interval, ##V=\infty## everywhere else. The barrier is ##V=\infty## on an interval, ##V=0## everywhere else. In either case we can discuss solutions, but they are different problems.

For the barrier, we have a free particle that must satisfy [itex]ψ(L)=0[/itex], but like the free-particle, we cannot impose [itex]lim_{x → ∞} ψ(x) = 0[/itex].

fzero said:
Certain potentials will not sufficiently constrain a particle to have either a discrete energy spectrum or a normalizable wavefunction. If the potential vanishes everywhere, so we have a free-particle, the energy spectrum is continuous and the wavefunctions are nonnormalizable plane waves.

In this case, you refer to the potential as an infinite square well, but you seem to describe it as an infinite barrier. The well is usually ##V=0## on some interval, ##V=\infty## everywhere else. The barrier is ##V=\infty## on an interval, ##V=0## everywhere else. In either case we can discuss solutions, but they are different problems.

For the barrier, we have a free particle that must satisfy [itex]ψ(L)=0[/itex], but like the free-particle, we cannot impose [itex]lim_{x → ∞} ψ(x) = 0[/itex].

I think I might just have gotten the wrong impression. I initially thought that it was just a typical particle-in-the-box question where the well is from -L<x<L, but then the location of the well doesn't really matter, so I can just use the same results from the case where the well is from 0<x<L and substitute in 2L in place of L. But that seems way too easy, especially since the preceding question on the sheet was essentially a one-line calculation.

But I did a google search on the infinite barrier you were talking about, and I've found something that might help me. I'll give it another crack and see what I can get. Thanks :)

phosgene said:
I think I might just have gotten the wrong impression. I initially thought that it was just a typical particle-in-the-box question where the well is from -L<x<L, but then the location of the well doesn't really matter, so I can just use the same results from the case where the well is from 0<x<L and substitute in 2L in place of L. But that seems way too easy, especially since the preceding question on the sheet was essentially a one-line calculation.
You could do something like that. Replacing L by 2L will account for the difference in the width of the well, but you also need to take into account that the center of the well is at a different location, i.e. at x=0 instead of x=L/2.

But I did a google search on the infinite barrier you were talking about, and I've found something that might help me. I'll give it another crack and see what I can get. Thanks :)
So is the potential indeed an infinite barrier? It's kind of a boring problem if so, and the hint suggests you should have a well.

vela said:
You could do something like that. Replacing L by 2L will account for the difference in the width of the well, but you also need to take into account that the center of the well is at a different location, i.e. at x=0 instead of x=L/2.

Oh, right, yes :P I just have to replace x with (x - L).
vela said:
So is the potential indeed an infinite barrier? It's kind of a boring problem if so, and the hint suggests you should have a well.

Actually, I think it's the infinite well. But I'd like to know about the barrier as well. I don't really know how to approach the problem mathematically, but I remembered that if the length of the box is much larger than the wavelength of the particle, then the system behaves classically. So in the case of the barrier, that's basically two boxes of infinite length separated by a barrier of infinite potential. So in each 'box', the probability density is uniform. Am I on the right track here?

And thanks for the reply :)

With barrier problems like this, you end up with plane wave solutions on either side of the barrier, so the probabilities are uniform. The interesting question is the probability that a particle can tunnel through a barrier. With an infinite barrier (of non-zero width), the particle can't get through, so it's not a very interesting situation.

Related to Wavefunction of infinite square well potential between -L<x<L

What is the "wavefunction" in the context of an infinite square well potential?

The wavefunction is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding a particle in a particular location in a given system. In the case of an infinite square well potential, the wavefunction describes the probability of finding a particle within the boundaries of the well.

What does the "infinite square well potential" refer to?

The infinite square well potential is a model used in quantum mechanics to describe a particle confined to a one-dimensional box with impenetrable walls. This model is often used to study the properties of quantum systems.

What does the "L" represent in the context of the wavefunction of an infinite square well potential?

The "L" represents the length of the well, or the distance between the two impenetrable walls. It is often used as a variable in the mathematical equations used to describe the system.

Can the wavefunction of an infinite square well potential be solved analytically?

Yes, the wavefunction for an infinite square well potential can be solved analytically using the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions. The resulting solution is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle at a given point within the well.

How does the wavefunction change for different values of "L" in the infinite square well potential?

As the value of "L" increases, the number of allowed energy states also increases, and the spacing between energy levels decreases. This means that the probability of finding a particle at a specific energy level decreases as "L" increases.