Wavelength Diagram: Difference in Intensity Blueshift vs Redshift

In summary: So in summary, you are looking for a diagram that shows the difference in wavelength intensity between a blueshift and a redshift. A blue photon carries more energy than a red photon, so a blue shift will cause the light to appear brighter to an observer. However, a red shift will not change the intensity of the light (one ray can't become four).
Grove1996
Hey

I have to find a diagram that shows the difference in wavelength intensity between a blueshift and a redshift. I've searched for a while but all the diagrams I find are pretty awful. If anyone knows any that decent ones would you mind linking it below? All I can find is the colour spectrum but it doesn't show anything in terms of the intensity.

Thankyou
Regards,
Grove1996

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that "intensity" is the word you are looking for. A shift won't change the intensity of the light (one ray can't become four).

A single "blue photon" carries more energy than a "red photon", maybe that is what you are thinking of?

NascentOxygen said:
I don't think that "intensity" is the word you are looking for. A shift won't change the intensity of the light (one ray can't become four).

A single "blue photon" carries more energy than a "red photon", maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Yes that it is. Sorry for the mistake haha, I'm still new to the topic.

So, we've sorted that out. :wink:

Next, are you really looking for a diagram? Maybe you mean "formula"?

In case you are really wondering where does that extra energy come from, the extra energy carried by a blue ray which used to be a white ray? I don't know the mechanism.

This sounds like you need to qualitatively diagram a red and blue shift. So the first thing you need to do is figure out what causes these shifts? Draw a source and an observer with some arbitrary wavelength of radiation emanating from the source. Now ask yourself what has to happen to cause a shift in the wavelength as seen by the observer without altering the actual wavelength of radiation coming from the source?

I might be misunderstanding the question but that is my take on it.

Related to Wavelength Diagram: Difference in Intensity Blueshift vs Redshift

1. What is a wavelength diagram?

A wavelength diagram is a visual representation of the relationship between the wavelength of light and its intensity. It typically plots the intensity of light on the y-axis and the corresponding wavelength on the x-axis.

2. What does blueshift and redshift refer to in a wavelength diagram?

Blueshift and redshift refer to the shift in wavelength of light towards the blue or red end of the spectrum, respectively. This shift is caused by the relative motion of the source of light and the observer.

3. Why is there a difference in intensity between blueshift and redshift?

The difference in intensity between blueshift and redshift is due to the Doppler effect. When an object emitting light is moving towards the observer, the wavelength of the light is compressed, resulting in a higher intensity. Conversely, when an object is moving away from the observer, the wavelength is stretched, leading to a decrease in intensity.

4. How does the wavelength diagram help us understand the concept of blueshift and redshift?

The wavelength diagram provides a visual representation of the relationship between wavelength and intensity. This helps us understand the concept of blueshift and redshift by showing how the relative motion of an object and the observer affects the wavelength and intensity of light.

5. What are some real-world applications of the wavelength diagram and the concept of blueshift and redshift?

The wavelength diagram and the concept of blueshift and redshift have various practical applications in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering. They are used to study the motion and properties of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies, and to measure the speed and distance of objects in space. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as Doppler ultrasound, to study the movement and flow of blood in the body.

Back