Wavelength of light (air vs. water)

In summary, the color of an object does not change when viewed underwater because the frequency of the light remains the same, but the wavelength is modified by the refractive index of water. However, once the light exits the water and enters the eye, it returns to its original wavelength and appears as the normal color to us. This difference in wavelength in different mediums is due to the fact that the crucial point for color is frequency, not wavelength.
bullroar_86
from my notes:

red light has a wavelength of ~660 nm

I just did a question where I was asked to find the wavelength in water..

I got an answer of 470 nm.

Just curious why the color doesn't change. (a red bathing suit is still red under water)

I'm thinking the "red = wavelength of 660 nm" only applies to air, and that figure varies with different mediums.

Is this the explanation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay,try to look at this chick's red bikinis with your eyes underwater.Is it the same color ...?

Daniel.

Unfortunately, I'm currently lacking in the "chick in a red bikini" dept. :biggrin:

but my guess would be yes it is the same color..

I'm just not sure on the explanation

Well the only thing I can come up with is what I already posted

I'm thinking the "red = wavelength of 660 nm" only applies to air, and that figure varies with different mediums.

So in different mediums the wavelength for red is different, so maybe in water its 470 nm, and it could be something different in glass etc..

The crucial point for color is frequency, not wavelength. So, yes, "red" light- that is light of that frequency has slightly different wavelengths in different media.

It wouldn't matter any way,because light passes through a lot of optical media before hitting your yellow spot at the back of retina...And it is the frequency of the light (energy) that affects those analyzers.

Daniel.

Old post, but this should be clarified.

If you are looking at a person in a pool wearing red shorts, why are their shorts still red even though the wavelength of the light has been modified by water's refractive index.

As the above poster pointed out, the frequency of the light does not change (as the original source is still at the same hertz, wiggling the electrons on the surface at its frequency), but the wavelength of that specific color inside a substance does.

This can be easily explained if i can make this diagram make sense:

----light @ ~660nm----> [water, wv @ 470nm]>----as light exits water, the wv will return very quickly to 660nm-----> [your eye]

So, the 'color' of the light actually does change, but as the light is scattered back out of water, it returns to its original wavelength.

I had originally wondered why when you are inside water you don't see the color change, but once the light leaves the water and enters your eye, it is no longer being subjected to the refractive index of water, and it will speed up to the normal refractive index of your eye (which is normal color to us)

FAQ: Wavelength of light (air vs. water)

1. What is the difference between the wavelength of light in air versus water?

The wavelength of light in air and water is different because the refractive index of water is higher than that of air. This means that light travels slower in water, causing the wavelength to appear shorter.

2. Does the wavelength of light change as it passes from air to water?

Yes, the wavelength of light changes as it passes from air to water. This is due to the change in the medium's refractive index, which affects the speed of light and therefore the wavelength.

3. How does the wavelength of light affect its behavior in air versus water?

The wavelength of light affects its behavior in air and water in several ways. In water, the shorter wavelength makes the light appear to bend more, resulting in objects appearing closer and larger. In air, the longer wavelength allows light to travel further, resulting in clearer visibility over longer distances.

4. Can the wavelength of light in water be measured?

Yes, the wavelength of light in water can be measured using specialized equipment such as a spectrometer or a laser interferometer. These tools allow scientists to accurately measure the wavelength of light in different mediums, including water.

5. How does the wavelength of light in water affect the color of objects?

The wavelength of light in water affects the color of objects because the shorter wavelength makes colors appear more vibrant and intense. This is why objects may appear to have a different color when viewed underwater compared to when viewed in air.

Back