Wavelength of Particle Passing Through Potential Barriers

In summary, to compare the wavelengths of a particle passing a barrier of height (a) +V0 and (b) -V0 where E > |V0|, you can use the wave number equation in region II to calculate the wavelength. Then, using the equations for momentum and kinetic energy, you can calculate the values for both cases.
xWaffle

Homework Statement

Compare the wavelengths of a particle when it passes a barrier of height (a) +V0 and (b) -V0 where E > |V0|. Calculate the momentum and kinetic energy for both cases.

Homework Equations

(see below)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the wavelength changes in the area of potential inside the barriers, but my textbook doesn't really give me much else information. It just leads on to explain how when passing the negative potential region, reflection and transmission may occur, which isn't what I'm interested in. With regards to the positive potential region, it gives what we 'thought' happened classically, and says this is not the case. Not very helpful either.

My book refers to the regions outside of the barriers as regions I and III, and the region within the barriers as region II. So what I'm looking for is how the wavelength changes in region II.

Equation given for 'wave number' in region II is as follows:

[itex]\kappa_{II} = \frac{\sqrt{2m(E - V_{0})}}{\hbar}[/itex]

And the 'wave function' in region II is:

[itex]\psi_{II} = Ce^{\kappa x} + De^{-\kappa x}[/itex]

How am I supposed to tie these together with wavelength, momentum, and kinetic energy? Am I even supposed to use these equations? I'm so confused as to how I'm supposed to approach this.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand your confusion as the equations given in your textbook may not directly relate to the wavelength, momentum, and kinetic energy. However, I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, let's start with the wave number equation given for region II. As you mentioned, this equation is used to calculate the wave number in region II, which is related to the wavelength through the following equation:

\lambda = \frac{2\pi}{k}

where \lambda is the wavelength and k is the wave number. So, by plugging in the equation for wave number in region II, you can calculate the wavelength in region II for both cases (a) and (b).

Next, to calculate the momentum and kinetic energy, you can use the following equations:

p = \frac{h}{\lambda}

and

K = \frac{p^2}{2m}

where p is the momentum, h is Planck's constant, K is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the particle.

By plugging in the values for wavelength calculated in the previous step, you can calculate the momentum and kinetic energy for both cases (a) and (b).

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Wavelength of Particle Passing Through Potential Barriers

What is the wavelength of a particle passing through a potential barrier?

The wavelength of a particle passing through a potential barrier is determined by its momentum and the height and width of the barrier. This can be calculated using the de Broglie wavelength equation.

How does the height of the potential barrier affect the wavelength of the particle?

The height of the potential barrier affects the wavelength of the particle by changing the energy of the particle. A higher barrier will require the particle to have a higher energy, resulting in a shorter wavelength.

What happens to the wavelength of the particle as it approaches the potential barrier?

As the particle approaches the potential barrier, its wavelength decreases. This is due to the particle's energy increasing as it gets closer to the barrier.

Can the wavelength of a particle passing through a potential barrier be greater than the width of the barrier?

Yes, the wavelength of a particle can be greater than the width of the potential barrier. This is because the particle's wavelength is determined by its momentum, which can be much larger than the width of the barrier.

How does the wavelength of a particle passing through a potential barrier compare to that of a free particle?

The wavelength of a particle passing through a potential barrier is longer than that of a free particle with the same momentum. This is because the particle must have enough energy to overcome the potential barrier, resulting in a longer wavelength.