Wavelength with just enough energy

In summary, the work function for chromium is ##7.0 \times 10^{-19} J##. The wavelength of light that has just enough energy to cause electrons to be emitted from chromium metal is ##\lambda = \frac{hc}{W}##, while the work function of chromium in kJ/mol can be found by converting the given work function. The difference between emitted electrons can be determined by considering whether the wavelength of the light is smaller or larger than ##\frac{hc}{W}##. When the wavelength is smaller, there is an excess of energy, while choosing it larger will ensure just enough energy to cause the electron to escape.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The work function for chromium is ##7.0 \times 10^{-19} J##.

What is the wavelength of the light that has just enough energy to cause electrons to be emitted from chromium metal?

What is the work function of chromium, in kJ/mol?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this question is missing some information? Here's what I have so far:

##E = K_e + W##
##\frac{hc}{\lambda} = K_e + W##
##\lambda = \frac{hc}{K_e + W}##

I can't exactly find the kinetic energy here I think.

The second question is easy, just convert the work function to kJ and take it per mol.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it tell you that it is just enough energy to cause an electron emitted?

That is unfortunately the missing piece of information I believe.

Actually, you have enough information. Consider:

Case A) The photon has just enough energy to cause the electron to escape the atom.

Case B) The photon has much more energy than the minimum required to cause an electron to escape.

In both cases, 1 electron is emitted. What is the difference between the emitted electrons?

Wait are you saying I need to consider when the kinetic energy is zero? So I could consider:

##E > W##
##\frac{hc}{\lambda} > W##
##\lambda < \frac{hc}{W}##

So when the wavelength is smaller than ##\frac{hc}{W}##, the light will have just enough energy?

Well, when the wavelength is smaller than [itex]\frac{hc}{λ}[/itex] it has more than enough energy.

Likes 1 person
BOYLANATOR said:
Well, when the wavelength is smaller than [itex]\frac{hc}{λ}[/itex] it has more than enough energy.

Ah I understand now. So choosing ##\lambda = \frac{hc}{W}## is going to ensure there is just enough energy. Choosing it larger will create an excess of kinetic energy.

Yes you have it now. Just be careful on your wording: a smaller wavelength gives it an excess because smaller wavelength is bigger energy.

BOYLANATOR said:
Yes you have it now. Just be careful on your wording: a smaller wavelength gives it an excess because smaller wavelength is bigger energy.

Yes I meant choose it smaller from the inequality above, silly me.

Thank you for your help.

Related to Wavelength with just enough energy

1. What is "wavelength with just enough energy"?

"Wavelength with just enough energy" refers to the specific wavelength of electromagnetic radiation that has the minimum amount of energy required to cause a particular physical or chemical effect.

2. How is the wavelength with just enough energy determined?

The wavelength with just enough energy is determined by the energy of the radiation and the properties of the material it is interacting with. It can be calculated using the equation E = hc/λ, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

3. What are some examples of "wavelength with just enough energy"?

One example is the wavelength of ultraviolet (UV) radiation that is just enough to cause sunburn on human skin. Another example is the wavelength of visible light that is just enough to stimulate photosynthesis in plants.

4. Why is "wavelength with just enough energy" important in science?

"Wavelength with just enough energy" is important because it helps scientists understand the specific interactions between electromagnetic radiation and matter. It also allows for the development of technologies that utilize specific wavelengths for various purposes, such as medical imaging or communication.

5. Can the wavelength with just enough energy be changed?

Yes, the wavelength with just enough energy can be changed by altering the energy of the radiation or by changing the properties of the material it is interacting with. This can be achieved through various methods, such as filtering or manipulating the radiation source or using different materials with varying properties.