Wavelengths of Particle passing Potential Barriers

In summary, the wave number equation and de Broglie wavelength equation can be used to calculate the wavelength, momentum, and kinetic energy for a particle passing through a barrier with a positive or negative potential, using the definitions of the variables provided.
xWaffle

Homework Statement

Compare the wavelengths of a particle when it passes a barrier of height (a) +V0 and (b) -V0 where E > |V0|. Calculate the momentum and kinetic energy for both cases.

Homework Equations

(see below)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the wavelength changes in the area of potential inside the barriers, but my textbook doesn't really give me much else information. It just leads on to explain how when passing the negative potential region, reflection and transmission may occur, which isn't what I'm interested in. With regards to the positive potential region, it gives what we 'thought' happened classically, and says this is not the case. Not very helpful either.

My book refers to the regions outside of the barriers as regions I and III, and the region within the barriers as region II. So what I'm looking for is how the wavelength changes in region II.

Equation given for 'wave number' in region II is as follows:

[itex]\kappa_{II} = \frac{\sqrt{2m(E - V_{0})}}{\hbar}[/itex]

And the 'wave function' in region II is:

[itex]\psi_{II} = Ce^{\kappa x} + De^{-\kappa x}[/itex]

How am I supposed to tie these together with wavelength, momentum, and kinetic energy? Am I even supposed to use these equations? I'm so confused as to how I'm supposed to approach this.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The equations you have provided are correct and can be used to calculate the wavelength, momentum, and kinetic energy for a particle passing through a barrier with a positive or negative potential.

First, let's define our variables:
- E: energy of the particle
- V0: height of the barrier
- m: mass of the particle
- x: position of the particle
- ħ: Planck's constant divided by 2π

To calculate the wavelength of the particle in region II, we can use the de Broglie wavelength equation:
λ = h/p = h/√(2m(E-V0))

Using the wave number equation you provided, we can rewrite this as:
λ = ħ/√(2m(E-V0))

To calculate the momentum of the particle in region II, we can use the momentum equation:
p = √(2m(E-V0))

Using the wave number equation, we can rewrite this as:
p = ħ/λ

To calculate the kinetic energy of the particle in region II, we can use the kinetic energy equation:
K = E-V0

Using the wave number equation, we can rewrite this as:
K = p^2/2m

I hope this helps clarify how to use the equations to calculate the wavelength, momentum, and kinetic energy for a particle passing through a barrier with a positive or negative potential. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Wavelengths of Particle passing Potential Barriers

1. What is a potential barrier?

A potential barrier is a region in space where the potential energy of a particle is higher than the surrounding areas. This means that particles need to overcome this barrier in order to move through it.

2. How do particles with different wavelengths behave when passing through a potential barrier?

Particles with shorter wavelengths are more likely to pass through a potential barrier than particles with longer wavelengths. This is because shorter wavelengths have higher energy and are able to overcome the barrier more easily.

3. What is the relationship between particle energy and potential barriers?

The higher the energy of a particle, the easier it is for it to pass through a potential barrier. This is because higher energy particles have shorter wavelengths and are able to overcome the barrier more easily.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the wavelength of a particle passing through a potential barrier?

Yes, the wavelength of a particle can be affected by the height and width of the potential barrier, as well as the mass and velocity of the particle.

5. Can particles with longer wavelengths ever pass through a potential barrier?

Yes, it is possible for particles with longer wavelengths to pass through a potential barrier, but it is less likely. These particles would need to have a higher energy or the potential barrier would need to be lower in order for them to pass through.