Wavelengths of standing waves on a string

In summary, we are considering a fixed string of length L that can produce standing wave patterns when shaken at certain frequencies. The five longest wavelengths that fit on the string are L, L/2, L/4, L/8, and L/16. The wavelengths can be determined by dividing the length of the string by 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 respectively. The best way to understand this concept is by drawing the possible waves. Using the formula c=fλ is not necessary. The wavelengths can also be determined by looking at the distance between the two fixed ends of the string, with the 1st wave being 2L, 2nd wave being L, 3rd wave
googlyeyes

Homework Statement

Consider a string of length L held fixed at both ends. The string can be shaken up and down and, at certain frequencies, the result will be a standing wave pattern on the string. Find the five longest wavelengths (call them λ1, λ2, λ3, λ4, and λ5) of the standing wave patterns that fit on the string. Write your answers in terms of L.

Homework Equations

c=fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

λ1 = L
λ2 = L/2
λ3 = L/4
λ4 = L/8
λ5 = L/16

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried drawing the possible waves?

Yes but I am not sure my thinking is right. I am thinking that in order for the wavelength to fit on the string it must either be L (the length of the string) or half, half again, etc. for the entire wave to fit (i am new to physics). Is this thinking completely wrong?

The best way to understand is to see it...

Attachments

• Waves.png
    Waves.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 735
So to find the five longest wavelengths do i need to use the formula i gave or should it be obvious (in terms of L) from drawing it?

You don't need to use your formula. If the distance between the two black blocks in my image is L. Can you state what the wavelengths of each of the three waves are in terms of L?

Ok so the 1st one would be 2L, the 2nd would be L and the 3rd would be 2/3L?

googlyeyes said:
Ok so the 1st one would be 2L, the 2nd would be L and the 3rd would be 2/3L?

Correct. What about the 4th and 5th?

Um 4th would be 1/2L, 5th would be 2/5L?

Yup!

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much! I understand this concept so much better now! I really appreciate your help!

Related to Wavelengths of standing waves on a string

What is the definition of "wavelengths of standing waves on a string"?

The wavelengths of standing waves on a string refer to the distance between two consecutive points on a string where the wave pattern is repeated. It is a measurement of the length of one complete cycle of a standing wave.

How are the wavelengths of standing waves on a string determined?

The wavelengths of standing waves on a string are determined by the length of the string and the frequency of the wave. The wavelength can be calculated using the formula λ = 2L/n, where λ is the wavelength, L is the length of the string, and n is the number of nodes (points of zero displacement) in the standing wave.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in standing waves on a string?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency in standing waves on a string is inverse. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula f = nv/2L, where f is the frequency, n is the number of nodes, v is the speed of the wave, and L is the length of the string.

How do the wavelengths of standing waves on a string change with different boundary conditions?

The wavelengths of standing waves on a string can change with different boundary conditions, such as fixed or free ends. For a string with fixed ends, only certain wavelengths are allowed, resulting in a specific set of standing wave patterns. For a string with free ends, all wavelengths are allowed, resulting in a continuous range of standing wave patterns.

What is the significance of the wavelengths of standing waves on a string?

The wavelengths of standing waves on a string are significant because they determine the frequencies and pitches of musical notes produced by stringed instruments. They also provide insight into the properties and behavior of waves, which have broad applications in various fields of science and technology.